Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any power loss in a 4.0L with 235/75R15 tires?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spudclark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Any power loss in a 4.0L with 235/75R15 tires? Reply with quote

I have a 91 Cherokee Sport 4.0L. I bought it with 235/75R15 tires on it. With my commute to work I go up in elevation from 7,300 ft to 9,000 ft over about 40 miles. I have to keep my Jeep in 4th gear and at times shift down to 3rd to maintain 60-65 mph. I can only use 5th when I am going down.

Questions:
Is this be normal power?
Is the tire size causing it to lose power?
Would this tire size have a significant affect on its gas mileage?
Will running it in 3rd gear at 65 mph hurt it going up steep mountain highway grades?
Is there anything I should do to increase power?

Thanks for helping out. I'm new and commonsense challenged most the time so please forgive me.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive heard people around here having to drop a gear to climb the mountain on I state but never drop to 3rd...my guess would be your gearing. If you have 3.07 gears thats a little on the high side and id suggest goin to something like a 3.55 or a 3.73
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be gearing. Based on you comment about 5th gear, I assume it's a manual. fox mentioned 3.07's and hit the nail on the head....the manual tranny comes with 3.07's.

235 75 R15's is a 29" tire...which is pretty close to a stock size tire.

When was the last time it was tuned up? If it's a long time (or unknown) try doing that and disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes. Fresh plugs, wires, air filter, etc. and a computer reset might solve the problem...or at least improve it some.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah these guys got it right. I have a '91 xj manual and everytime I go up a slight incline she bogs and if it's anything like what you describe just drop 4th and hold it there, if you go below 50mph then 3rd maybe, but I wouldn't recommend trying to stay at 65mph or you could damage something, just let traffic go around. Gears is the key, no tire issue here as I have 235's on mine and my wife's '92 does as well. But hers is an auto and can keep any speed thru elevations, so must be the gearing. Maybe adding some mild perf. items will help you out. Don't expect much though because it still boils down to the gears. Good luck!
spudclark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I did a quick tune up and it is working better, but still weak in the higher gears. I am very interested in changing out the gears. I am going to talk to a friend who is a mechanic and see how much it will cost at the friend discount.

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: