Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing the hard top.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dajaaza

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Removing the hard top. Reply with quote

Anyone come up with a "homemade" trick to a one-man method of removing the hard top? I understand that it's easy as a two man job but I couldn't be bothered with asking the neighbour for a hand in the removal.

I am considering building a platform that the top can slide onto from the jeep with a crank pulley system to pull it off. I'd just be throwing something together with 2x4.

Any ideas?
J
StreetDoc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several different "how to" articles running around, here's some of them:
http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/hardtoplift/
http://www.dx4life.com/Blankman/Jeep_hard_top_lift.htm
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/hoist.html

Hopefully this will help you and give you some ideas of what you can do.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
WOLFSTER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Hardtop holder Reply with quote

I have a 5'x6' rolling scaffold that I got at Ace Hardware that I use for my hardtop. You can set the height at where you want it, and its very easy to move around. When not using it you can take it apart and store it. Also if you have some sheets of plywood you an make extra shelves for under the top. I use mine all the time and by myself. Expect to spend around 150 -200 bucks.
canuck4welr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you load the top on the scaffold?
i just finished a rig that uses a set of blocks mounted to a track on the cieling. I pull the top up with the blocks and roll it to the corner of the garage on the track. works good, but need to tweek it a bit. I like the scaffold idea. sounds a bit safer than mine
WOLFSTER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: using scaffold Reply with quote

You can set the scaffold at various heights. You might be a little higher or lower but just take your time pulling it off towards the rear. I did mine with no strain whatsoever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: