Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Severe noob with some questions.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little Grey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Severe noob with some questions. Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been asked before, but i really need help. I am looking at getting a '00 XJ and want to get into offroading. So far I am looking at a 4-4.5" lift, 32" tires, warn front and rear bumpers and rock sliders, Optima yellow-tops, and maybe some lights, and possibly some skidplates. What i need to know is this ok for some light wheeling. Should i get lockers? And what brands would people reccomend for the lift and stuff. Thanks for any help.
badger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would suggest getting the jeep and driving it for a bit first.get to know your new vehicle before you jump into it head first type of thing.depending on what type of wheeling you do it should be ok.look a bit more at bumpers the Warn bumpers are a bit pricey .

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shotgun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bone stock is ok for light wheeling. For the budget minded that's quite the list there.

In the 4-4.5 range most of the lifts are nearly identical. But if you went longarm at that height you'd be setting really sweet. Above this and most lifts start having steering problems.

Here's how I'd spend your money in order of importance as I see it. Natural selection by the enviroment may swing my order some.
1. frame stiffeners like the ones from tntcustoms.com. Alot of extra support and can be used as under body skids. Have this done professionally, IMHO.
2. Rock rails that attach to the pinch weld and the frame channel.
3. 4.5 inch lift
4. front and rear bumpers.
5. A red top unless your getting a winch then a single yellow top should suffice.
RockOn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 4.5 lift w/32" tires
have been very impressed with durablity and strength of my XJ

I do suggest gears & locker if you can afford them (you'll love them to!)
32" tires with stock gears kill your normally punchy performance of the 4.0 motor

steering is a problem like noted above....I have a drop pitman arm to install....don't know if it will help or not yet

I would build my own bumpers & rock rails...... (my store bought dented & suck, to damn much $$$ for something to beat up)

I personally suggest buying a nice full size truck, trailer, & a $500 TJ or something(old scout with D44's under it) that you can beat the hell out of! (just a thought...if I had it to do all over again....)

Trail riding will start off light..............then it grows! Twisted Evil Shocked

Happy hunting!
Little Grey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. Here is my revised list.
Sliders from T&T Customs
Optima Yellow Top
Stiffeners from T&T
Warn Winch (can someone recommend one?)
4.5 from Rough Country (any good)
ARB Winch Bull Bar in the front(can someone suggest a good rear?)
32-33 Mud Terrains (should be good for highway and trail use)
Some more lights on the bumper(which ones?)
I have also been looking into an internal rollcage. Any good ones on the market.

I know this is a bit much, but when I go wheeling, I want to be sure nothing will give out on me too fast. This is essentially what I want my XJ to look like. Nothing too extreme, but something capable. So in anyone has any other suggestions, Im open to just about anything.
badger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would recommend a Warn 9000 XD or XP

they are pretty muchthe same but the XP is the more extreme of the two.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EagleKeeper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz I'm all for getting to know your Jeep first. Buy the essensials first,like a good come-along and a Highlift jack [Find someone well versed in these two tools and have them teach you how to use them] They are two very cheap and very useful tools.,but each can be very dangerous to the uninitiated. Then go out and try your jeep on the trails. See where you have problems. Maybe you only need better traction or more ground clearance. After all,you still want your Jeep to be a well rounded vehicle. Jeep already did most of the work for you. They already gave you a good handling Jeep with great power to weight ratio and very good ground clearance for most trails. Work your way into it over time. Because wheelin is 60% brains,30% equipment and 10% luck.
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleKeeper wrote:
Razz Because wheelin is 60% brains,30% equipment and 10% luck.

heh, I have a friend who seems to think it's 100% equipment. Has a decked out TJ, yet I seem to always be waiting on him........
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: