Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Several questions from a beginner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-Tar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Several questions from a beginner Reply with quote

I just aquired a 2003 Rubicon. It has about 19K miles on it and stock everything. I want to really see what it can handle, because i've seen the pictures of the jeeps where the wheels are all over the place and it looks like the suspensions about to snap in half and it still pulls through.

I'm definately interested in off-roading, but i've never done it before. is there anything I should be aware of, like how much punishment it will handle, how to not roll it, etc? Also, is there anything I should do to it physically?

I don't know a lot about it... not really a car guy, never was, but I want to learn. I know it has Dana 44 differentials, but I don't know what "Dana", "44", or "Differentials" mean. Same goes for mechanical locking hubs; have'em, don't have a clue what they do.

Another thing; does anyone know any good places to go to in or around Tucson to take it for a ride?
Gamgan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First , welcome to the boards, you came to the right spot

They people here are awesome, they are helpfull and know there stuff.

As for your questions, first read the FAQs they have posted as stickys, you will find alot of good stuff there, including what are your diferentials

Also your best bet to find out what your jeep can do is finding a local 4X4 club. Your safest bet is to tag along with some people who have experiance and can show you the ropes. A good place to look up clubs are in the shops that sell stuff for your jeep, or ask the dealer he might know of some.

have fun!
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard

As a Newbe, you might want to start on some fire trails in your local mountains. They're somewhat maintained dirt roads that give you a taste of what your Rubi can do. And it woud be a good idea to bring a buddy that has a 4X also, just in case the ugly happens.

Also if you don't feel comfortable going up something don't do it. If this is you daily driver, I wouldn't get wild so you can drive it to work the next day.
Don't go half up the side of the a mountain and deside to turn around, always back down.

Most important is to have FUN.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't look into a lift yet. Wheel your TJ stock for a little bit to get the feel for it. Also, figure out what style of off-roading you like (i.e. mudding, rock crawling, trail-riding, etc.)

As someone said before, if you feel uncomfortable, DON'T DO IT. Also, if it starts to feel tipsy, back off.

There are also many FAQs on this board, and the internet in general, that can provide you with 80% of what you need to know, we're here to help you interpret it and fill in the other 20%. Mr. Green

HTH,
Stevo Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tinybluetj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Rubi can handle more then you think stock. Save your self the money and aggrivation of having to do it over: Wheel it for a bit FIRST, then see what YOU need. Everybody needs/wants/likes something different!
Muckaneer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:

Don't go half up the side of the a mountain and deside to turn around, always back down.

I love that line. I may have to steal it. A zen t-shirt if I ever saw one.
Muckaneer #1
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: