Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPEEDOMETER CALIBRATION

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: SPEEDOMETER CALIBRATION Reply with quote

I justed lifted and re-tired (33/12.50) my 04 Rubicon (4.0L Automatic) and my shift points are all messed up. I am looking for advice on how to correct. I found the Superflex Truspeed adapter by can't find any write-ups that talk about how it performs.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the shift points...it's the larger circumference of the 33s compared to the smaller tires previously. Larger tires require lower gears for the same performance.

I know that's not the answer you wanted to hear, but it's the simple truth.
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, what he said. nothing will retrieve your lost power and correct your shift points 'cept for regearing or going back to stock-sized tires (heavens forbid!). if you are looking to just fix your speedometer to show the proper speeds on the road then a simple speedo gear swap will correct that. click here to determine which gear you need.
chris
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be mistaken (wouldn't be the first time), but I believe the speedometer on the 04's are completly electronic now...so there's no speedo gear to swap.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if it has the 241OG, I believe it needs to be recalibrated electronically.
jojo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electronic answer is what I keep coming up with, I know I can't make up the power loss with a calibration, my question is can I get the shift points straightened out. Thanks for the feedback.
majikxms

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you clarify what you mean by shift points?
jojo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The points (rpm's) that the transmission shifts at. It takes a lot longer to shift up and down with the new tires.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
I might be mistaken (wouldn't be the first time), but I believe the speedometer on the 04's are completly electronic now...so there's no speedo gear to swap.

The speedo has been electronic for years. It's fed by the speedo gear in the tailshaft of the t-case on the 231s. It's still this way on the 04s. What you're mixing up is the 241 from a Rubicon. It does not use the speedo gear and can not be corrected by replacing a speedo gear.

With a 231 (i.e. non-Rubicon Wrangler), you simply need to replace the speedo gear with the one with the correct number of teeth to bring it back inline. This will make the speedo read correctly but it will not address the transmission's shifting. This is an issue of gearing.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:

The speedo has been electronic for years. It's fed by the speedo gear in the tailshaft of the t-case on the 231s. It's still this way on the 04s. What you're mixing up is the 241 from a Rubicon. It does not use the speedo gear and can not be corrected by replacing a speedo gear.

That's right. I just couldn't remember the exact details. Thanks E.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: