Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

winch repair

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: winch repair Reply with quote

I've got a Ramsey 8,000-lb winch that I had mounted via a front 2 inch reciever on my ZJ, I got in a wreck a few months ago with no damage to the Jeep but a lot of damage to the winch. The fairlead broke on the right side where it bolts to the winch "chassis" and the the clutch lead in/out selector broke as well. I bought the winch new from Northern Tool & Equipment as a discontinued item for about $300.00. The shipping cost will be horrendous if I ship it to Ramsey and that will just be for a repair estimate (I don't know if it has any internal damage since I haven't been able to try it out since the accident). The customer service rep said that the repairs can quickley climb in cost if the damage is more than cosmetic. Does anyone have any experience getting any repairs done to their winch? Also, does anyone have any recommendations on a replacement winch that is 8000 to 9000 lb capacity and can be reciever mounted and is around $600? If I get a different brand winch will I have to have new power cables run? I already have the power cables from the Ramsey run from the front and the back since it was a reciever mounted winch. Regardless of whether I get my winch repaired or purchase a new one I will have to get a new reciever mount winch cradle since the old one is bent all to hell. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited W/242 swap
JKS disconnects & Garmin GPS
Heavy duty OME Suspension kit
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to turn the clutch selector to see if it still engages / disengages..

If not I will suggest you look into a superwinch EP9000. Thats the winch I run ..ITs a little over $500 and worth every penny...

Also the ends for th ramsey can be put on the Superwinch cables so that the plug will work in either end...

Or sells connectors for the craddle mounted winches..

Hope that helps..

Unless you include the sawzall work..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: