Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake lines ...ouch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Brake lines ...ouch Reply with quote

I just took my 98 to the shop to get that bouncing oil pressure guage checked ( was hoping it was the contacts)

I just got a call from the Mech saying he noticed all of my brake lines where rusted badly and he suggested that the first thing I should do is get them all replaced, he said there was 2 spots where he was worried they where about to break.
I know my jeep was imported to PR from NY and it suffered from rust from the salt on the roads, but I was hoping for more time before I had to replace the brakes.

My question is, Do I have to buy Mopar replacement brake lines + $200 labor fees, or can I buy aftermarket brake lines like I saw in a few cataloges?

Im short on cash, but dont want to risk crashing either.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can deffinitely use aftermarket lines and install them easily yourself to save $$$. I would check the lines myself first, problem could be exaggerated or made up.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
You can deffinitely use aftermarket lines and install them easily yourself to save $$$. I would check the lines myself first, problem could be exaggerated or made up.

I agree and while your at it, might as well upgrade to braided steel lines to improve brake pedal firmness and overall braking response.

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gamgan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is changing brake lines really something that a non mechanic can do?

I can change my own brake pads, do a minor tune up and other minor things that I learned how to do from this site + chiltons manual, but wasnt sure if changing a full set of brake lines was that easy.

Also, I called Quadratec and they didnt have my jeeps lines in stock

Any suggestions where I could order a full set? Mopar quoted me at $300+ for a full set

Every time I do a search for steel meshed brake lines I keep getting just the short lines that go from the ABS to the brakes and not the full lines that run from back to rear

Last edited by Gamgan on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, the hardest part will be bleeding the brakes after your done, which is more time consuming than difficult.

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the longer lines at any parts store. I'm not sure if you can get those braided. Just measure the lines for length. The lines will be universal so you may have to get them a little longer than needed, but that's fine. You will need an end off one of the old lines to match it up to new one. May have to combine two shorter lines with a union to make the length. That's the cheaper way to do it. You will probably get one piece lines from mopar for a lot more $$$. If you can hold a wrench you can do it and save. Like KnightFire said the fun part will be bleeding them which isn't too hard. Make sure you have a buddy over so he can pump the brakes. Once bled I would drive it then rebleed just in case any left behind bubbles are lingering.
Gamgan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it safe to make those makeshift lines?

I think I will buy premade kit to be on the safe side, just have to find some one OTHER then mopar who sells the kits

As for doing it my self, I guess I will try once I see what has to be done.

I have to replace all of my brake lines, what does that include?

I would need brake lines ( short ones that go to the brakes ) bleeders ( so I can bleed my system solo) and a tubing kit????

If I do need a tubing kit I would need what size?

1/4 or 5/16 or 3/8

what else will I need to buy? I have not been able to find a full kit, so Im going to have to buy the parts individualy.

I have found these sites so far

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=10143&parentCategoryId=10139&langId=-1

and
http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?cv=1&kw=brake+line+&pg=1
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's safe and it will work fine! You need to get under your Jeep to see what you need. I'm sure you don't have to replace every line. There are two coming from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve. Then one goes to the rear and two to the front . The rear goes into a rubber line right before the rear differential, then splits at a "T" goes back to steel and goes directly to the wheel cylinders. The front two go to just before the wheels and connects to rubber lines and then the calipers. If you get those speed bleeders you can bleed solo. I have never tried them. If you use them let me know how they work.
Gamgan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to buy the pre formed brake lines from Mopar

And I will install them my self, and add the bleeders too

Is there a online Mopar where I can buy from them direct that would be a little less then buying from the local mopar store?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: