Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upper control arm bushing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Upper control arm bushing Reply with quote

Anyone replaced one?? I have Steve aka ThePhantum looking in his book to see what they say to take that furious bushing out of the axle Evil or Very Mad
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a special puller...although you could prolly fab something up. It's basically a steel cup/sleeve on one side, a threaded plate on the other and a long bolt. The bolt reaches through cup/sleeve, the bushing and the plate (on the other side of the bushing). Then just tighten up the bolt and the bushing gets pulled out into the cup/sleeve.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
quadna71

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used screwdrivers and hammers to work it out. definitely something i dont want to do everyday but it got the job done.
chris
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:
i used screwdrivers and hammers to work it out. definitely something i dont want to do everyday but it got the job done.
chris

Yeah...those bushings suck. I've pulled a couple of them out from various axles. I curse the entire time, every time.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. On that hammer and screwdriver trick....isn't it like just a piece of hard rubber in the axle part? I mean what did it take to get all the pieces of the bushing out of there, maybe 20 minutes or worse? lol I haven't a clue where to find one of those "special" tools Phantum mentioned, nor do have the dough. But wife's '92 xj just starting clunking up front and mech said that it was indeed the upper control arms. I'm gonna try to do it myself being as I found the whole arms both sides for under $50 where my mech wanted 67 plus labor JUST for the bushing. Go figure! Dumb question but did u guys tap the bushing out towards the wheel? I noticed the bushings have a lip and I assume they go in a certain way, right or left. Good forum guys, keep it up.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've burned three of them out. It's the least amount of effort but takes a while. Once enough of the rubber is burned away, the inner sleeve can be easily driven out of the rubber bushing. Then, I collapsed the outer sleeve with a pair of channel locks and pulled it out. I used lots of spray lubricant to soak in where the outer sleeve meets the ear for the mount and help break it loose. Heating up the ear helps also to expand the metal and break it free.

Don't buy new arms. Put up a WTB post on some forums and someone will send you them for free (pay for shipping). The bushings themselves you can get from NAPA if I remember correctly. I think they're about $10-12.
JeeperX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switched mine no prob.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I cannot find any store that has or can get the front upper control arm bushing. Even the dealership said they don't make em anymore. So, my question is, will the rear upper arm bush fit as these are fairly easy to find. Tried, napa, autozone, discount, advanced, carquest and a local shop to no avail. I think I actually found them on EBAY from MAKO MFG. Anybody bought from this guy? Ned them yesterday but alot of ppl on ebay don't ever reply or their feedback make you wonder. So anybody think the rears will work or have an idea where I can find the fronts? Thanks guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: