Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rear main seal still leaking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amosp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: rear main seal still leaking Reply with quote

I replaced the rear main on my 94 XJ. There was not a drop of oil for about 2 days and then I parked it and it dripped a good sized amount of oil. I took it to a mechanic I know and he said the oil pan bolts were loose. For another 2 days it was good and then it leaked a lot again. Not a drop yesterday or this morning. Any ideas on why it is doing this? My mechanic said he would not put another one in because it was a waste of time and money because most of the time it does not cure the problem. It has 168000 miles on it and he said the crank has worn down and a new seal would not work. he said I need another engine. He is a good guy and I have always known him to be honest. Why is it good for a couple of days and then leaks? Any suggestions?
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say leaks alot, how much? A quart or more? I have 2 xj's a '91 4wd and a 2wd '92 auto. My '91 has about 300k on it and it leaks a little all the time just something jeeps do after awhile with age, but if I take it on a trip or run her hard she leaks more than usual. I mean just like a plate sized spot on the driveway but around oilchange time for me about 2500-2800 miles It is usually low between half to a full quart. I keep an extra quart or 2 on board and check it regularly but have NEVER had it leave me anywhere or lose pressure. If u replaced the seal and still have some leakage now and then but it's not a whole bunch, I would just keep an eye on it. But as for replacing the whole engine, dunno what your mech is thinking. There are other options I believe than shootin her. LOL Maybe the oil filter adapter is the culprit or contributing to the small leak from tranny bolt and just looks like alot of oil. Mine also does this from around the ring where the filter attaches but I KNOW that is a cheaper fix than a new eng. And it tends to drip right there along the tranny and can look like it's the trans. bolt. I would suggest you just go over your rig closely and consider other possibilities....unless u got a spare grand or 2 for an eng, Good luck!
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry thinkj I mighta misread a little, is this an AUTO or manual? Had that prob on wife's '92 with 190k miles and replaced it and have yet to have a problem, also had the trans fluid flushed at that time. But I have still heard and believe that these jeep leak from that main seal and is common occurence, so maybe you should have another mech give u an opinion?
amosp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an automatic. There is oil around the oil filter also. The oil spot is about 4 to 5 inches in diameter. It even runs down the bottom toward the rear of the tranny pan and drips off of it. What is getting me is that it will be fine for a couple of days and then leak like crazy. I can shut it off and get out and watch it dripping. Then it will be good for another day or two. I have found some engines out of totaled Cherokees for about 550 average with around 50k to 80k miles on them. Anybody ever used any of that stop leak for the engine?
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: leaks Reply with quote

Whoa, I wouldn't be thinking of replacing the engine because of an oil leak unless you had a cracked block or something dramatic. Because you say it doesn't always happen you want to make sure it isn't the engine pressurizing itself. I had an 88 that would leak like crazy until I found one of the metal pipes that connects to the valve cover was clogged. If this is the case you will get lots of pressure in the engine and it will leak wherever the air can escape. A bad PCV valve can do this too. An easy way to see if this is your issue, next time you come home from a drive open up the oil filler cover while running, if lots of pressurized air comes out then this may be your problem. It should have a little pressure but not sound like opening a bottle of soda. There is a tech writeup in the sticky section under FIXING BLOWBY (OIL IN AIR FILTER). It says the issue is only up to 1990 but worth looking into.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: