Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Differential gears

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybret

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Differential gears Reply with quote

hi,
Last week i knocked the rear end gears out (pinion and spyder gears) and since then i 've gotten the pinion and ham? gears to replace them. The first question i have is , is there anything else i should replace while the rear end is apart?, and the second question is does anyone know where i can take it to have the parts put in? around the north phoenix area.
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you get the pinion gear out if you didn't take the carrier and ring gear out??? or did you just not mention that part???

and why do you want to put a ham in the rear. wouldn't it be better on your plate for dinner???LOL

ok all kidding aside,..........spider gears are the 4 little once inside the carrier.
the carrier is the round "housing" inside the differential.
the ring gear is the big round ring that bolts to the carrier.
the pinion gear is the one in the back of the housing that sorta looks like a mushroom. with the shaft end going out of the back of the housing and into the yoke which the rear driveshaft bolts on to.

what gears did you have in there before and what gears did you order??? if you had 3.55 or numerically smaller, and you ordered gears that are 3.73 or numerically larger, then you will also need a new carrier.
you should also order a master install kit. a good master install kit comes with everything you need for the axle(seals, shims, bearings, races, etc,).

just curious...............where did you come up with the name "ham gear"???
________
FJ600

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cybret

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can tell, I'm not much of a mechanic. in answer to your questions; I didn't take any thing apart yet except the rear end cover. When I looked inside the spyder gears were history and the pinion gear was damaged. The gear ratio is 4:11, which i went to a wrecking yard and bought the whole 4:11 assembly, plus the pinion gear. I thought maybe i could just take the old one out and install the new one till i found out it was way over my head.
ok, i'll get the master install kit today and see if i can find someone to put it together. Are all the master install kits the same or is there one better than another?. thanks for the reply, at this stage it helped a lot.
carrier gears sound almost like ham gears don't you think? Smile
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i have a 93 zj 5.2L limited with tow package and was woundering, check today and the differentials say Front one said dana 30F then the rear said dana 35C....now how do i figure out if i have limited slip or what not....i have awd right now so i cant just throw the back tires up on jackstands and look cause the front will prob pull them off lol so how do i find out what i have in the front and rear? or do u guys know? oh yeah i got the jeep in a auction and it has a junkyard rear end so i dunno...lol the jeep also has a tow package that i mentioned
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: