Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I may have ruined my Stock Aluminum Rims

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdgrip

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: I may have ruined my Stock Aluminum Rims Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have had some sort of stain on my front rims for awhile now, and could not get it to come off, it was almost like it was baked on. Anyways, after struggling repeatedly to get this stuff off with every rim cleaner imaginable, I got this idea to use a little bit of acetone, to my delight, it worked. I think it worked to well, as I believe some of the clearcoat has come off and now looks dull. I have tried to polish it back up with Mothers polish, but no good. Any suggestions to maybe help get my rims back to showroom shine would be appreciated.

Yes, i'm sure your thinking what i'm thinking, "idiot". Embarassed
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say this, But you'll probably have to strip all the clear off and have it re-sprayed to get to come out right.
If you do try to "spot fix" it, it might have a yellowish tint around the area where one clear overlapps the old clear.

Best bet would be to take it to a paint and body shop and have them do it. I won't guess on how much it will cost.

But you might get lucky, the acetone might need to evaporate for a few days in the sun, then go back and then try to re-polish with clearcoat polish instead of mothers.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
jdgrip

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will look into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: