Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who woulda thought ( A tale of tires)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slbotos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Who woulda thought ( A tale of tires) Reply with quote

First, a big thanks to Swampy for his post on the 249/242 tc swap. Mine works great. I just finished rewiring the vic.
Sorry for the long story but it might be worth telling. I bought my 97 GC Limited last June with a bad VC. After reading Swampys article on the 249/242 swap I knew it was the best way to go. After going on a short trip I noticed a smell that smelled like burning oil. Bottom line the front diff was so hot you couldn't touch it. Fried gears. Took it to a shop called TrailsWest here in Columbus and had new front gears installed. Another short trip and more fried gears. Back to TrailsWest. They honored their warranty and replaced the gears. They knew I had mentioned the 249/242 swap and the bad vc. While they had the GC the second time they did some checking on the vc. It all boils done to this: The original owner replaced the two back tires with new ones. Same size, different brand. Michelins in back, Goodyears in front. There is 3/4 inch diameter difference in those brands. Enough to make the vc work fulltime and thus go bad. With the different size tires on, the front diff was going faster than the rear diff. The front was holding the truck back like a brake. It overheated and fried the gears. Who woulda thought. If I would have not procastinated in the tc swap and tire replacement I could have saved myself a lot of grief.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help...

Tires need to be the same size on a 4wd.. for those that didnt know this is good info...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SnaFu2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem with my '97 GCL. Bought the truck off a used car lot. when i test drove the truck the TC seemed to work fine. After about 2 weeks, which included a 100 mile trip, i noticed i couldn't turn into a parking space without the front end "walking" like crazy. long story short, when i took the truck to a shop, he replaced the TC with the selecta-trak, or whatever it is called. Mechanic told me that the tires on the front where not the same size as the back and that most likely caused the VC to take a sh*t. truck run much better, but have no indication on the VIC. will search for some info on how to fix that.
SnaFu

BTW. the dealer didnt want to hear about the tires he put on causing the problem. said it worked when it left here. Finger Oh well, cost me $850.00 USD to fix the problem.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always check tire size and ever manufacturer.. They dont all make tires the smae size..

Case in point.. I used to have a set of 36" super swamper TSL's ..They measured 34.5" tall when new..

I replaced them with a set of 35" remington Mudd Brutes.. They measure 35" exactly when new... So had I run 2 swampers and two MuddBrutes I would have had 1/2" of difference in the tires, thats enough to make a differnce...

And if I had run 36" mudd Brutes thinking I was keeping the same size.. I would have been 1 1/2" different.. Thats alot when it comes to tires...

The VC in the Quadratrac case (249) is a replaceable component but for the price it is more cost efficient and more logical to just swap to a Select trac (242) or Command track (231) case..

There are a few writeups including my own (which I think is the best.. Mr. Green ) on how to swap cases.. So next time you can do it yourself and feel like a pimp for having built your own Transfer case.... rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: