Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ELECTRIC FANS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: ELECTRIC FANS Reply with quote

Has anyone done the elec fan replacement of their mechanical clutch fan assembly? If so how did it go and how long did it take? Does the pulley come into play or is it bypassed or still used? What size fan was used, 14 in.? Also, I would like to replace the aux fan as well with another of these types but wasn't sure if I needed a relay or if I could just straight wire it to the batt with a toggle and turn it on as needed? Got this idea from Dr. Dino's site and although the possibility of extra HP is nice I just want the weight reduction and better efficiency if this works. Any help guys. Thank you.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am contemplating it too. When I began suddenly to have heating problems with my 92 XJ I panicked and ordered a new electric aux fan and a Flex 110 from JEGS. I later discovered my cooling problem was loss of pressurization of coolant system from detoriating heater control valve, it shattered when I saw coolant leaking from it and tried to remove heater hose. The cheap plastic had heated and cooled once too many times.

I thought I would replace both fans but don't have time before this weekend's trip to Paragon Adventure Park in PA.

I plan to do it afterwards though. I am just going to place them paralleled with existing AUX Fan circuit so they both turn on when eng is HOT and/or when AC (or Defrost) is turned on. I think I will place disconnect/off switches (for Stream crossings) and on/off indicator lights on the dash too.

Let me know how yours goes!

I am a bit concerned about DINO's statement about cutting off the bolts on existing mech fan assy! Sounds kind of FINAL with no possibility to revert back to stock! (?)

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the Taurus fan swap?
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More food for thought tho I have already purchased my fans ! DARN!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: