Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

o2 sensor question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
omega1300

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: o2 sensor question Reply with quote

First off all thanks Phantum for your help with my radiator question last time! I now have an all metal one installed and my jeeps running great.

Okay, so I have a '97 sport with the 4.0L and I need to replace an O2 sensor. I brought it to checker auto and used their reader thing, and it says I need one in the left bank, and the guy at the store said it was the one above the caddilatic conv. So my question is, as far as I know there are only two O2 sensors correct? The guy at checker thought were more, but im not sure he knew what he was talking about. And if the sensor that needs replacement is above/near the converter, is that the sensor nearer to the front or back of the truck?

Thanks guys!
Lowrider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '97 Cherokee has 2 oxygen sensors. One just downstream from the exhaust manifold and the other just downstream from the catalytic convertor. (downstream = the direction of exhaust flow)

The one downstream from the convertor won't affect the way your Jeep runs, it merely monitors the performance of the catalytic convertor.

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
omega1300

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Lowrider, now I'm not sure it's even worth replacing. It's $70 for a replacement sensor at Checker, but I guess I would at least get that annoying light to go out!
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey omega don't quote me on this because mine is a '91 but a new o2 sensor was around $40 for me so 70 seems a bit high. Check online as well as ebay. And another thing it does more than make the light go out, haha. A new sensor could save you up to 4-5 tanks I heard on a good running motor a year, so it will more than pay for itself in the long run. Good luck.
mad_dog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: dealer price Reply with quote

i checked the price for that down stream o2 sensor for a 99xj a week ago at the dealership. it was around $125. 70 from checkers dont seem so bad
tomynoks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Omega,

The O2 sensors are the same part, before and after the cat converter. I just replaced mine on my '99 XJ. I bought it at Autozone/Schuck's

www.1autozone.com

OXYGEN SENSOR for a
1999 JEEP CHEROKEE 4WD
SENSOR LOCATED BEFORE CATALYTIC CONVERTER

BOSCH
UNIVERSAL 15729 1 YR $54.99

or they have the OEM for $64.99
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: