Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cruising speed ride harshness

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shimma

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: cruising speed ride harshness Reply with quote

Don't know how to exactly word this,but my '96 Cherokee Sport, feels and drives nice and normal,'til I get to 95kph, (Sorry guys,I know you use Miles),and you can feel from the rear I think it is,and it may also be coming from the front, a graunchy harshness /vibration. At 103-5 kph,it is fairly noticable. I know it's not the tyres out of balance,as I had those done two weeks ago,and anyway,this problem has been there,since I bought it. From this speed it becomes 'harsher' the faster I go,even up to 120kph,I didn't want to go past that!!.When I back off the gas,and let it slow down,it's still there,and at about the same harshness.and goes away at 95kph,again.!! I wish I could compare it to a common noise or sensation,maybe like the dentists drill,the round ball looking drill,they use to enlarge the filling area,that grates and closely resembles the harsness. I had a good look underneath,the only slight detectable movement is from the shaft,coming out the back of the tranny,when I pushed up on the Uni joint, directly below the handbrake adjustment area. I'd say that was from the splines?,as holding the shaft real tight,I could not get the uni joint to show the slightest movement.
I don't know if the back diff iis worn or what,but it had the right level of oil in it,when I pulled out the rubber bung,from the filler hole,to check. Any ideas? the driveshaft from the uni joint just mentioned, to the back diff,has the 'jeep' word handwritten in blue paint?,looks like it may have come from a wreckers yard?,That out of balance, would do it?...cheers guys..Jim...
Paddy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Harsh Ride Reply with quote

Jim,

I am experiencing the same thing with my new to me '98. I bought it from a dealer two weeks ago, and the harsh noises, vibrations were blamed on the tires. Today, I replaced the front tires, as they replaced the rears already, and I am still having a problem. At slow speeds, I have a noisy drivetrain (front) sound, at highway speeds the vibration is unbearable. I think its the rear, but now I got to get the dealer to agree. I'll keep you update on my progress. Most likely you have a rear problem also.
Shimma

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that,Paddy,do that,It's a hard thing to try and describe,eh,and obviously getting someone else drive it would be about the only way.In your case,I'd first check out all the uni joints,and that the rear driveshaft is balanced?
A possible clue to my problem?,is that there is an unpleasant smell in side the truck,and to me,it seems likely that it was pretty much flooded up above the doorsills,at one time,like in a river crossing etc,and tho I've used your Macguires product 'car deodorant spray', in several heavy applications,it's still there,and I'll most probably will end up getting the carpet ripped out and replaced.. By the way,does anyone have an idea as to what else/method I might try,to get rid of it permanently, apart from replacing the carpet? My question from this,is could this likely past submergence, have gotten into things that are now complaining by vibrating Very Happy i don't know if that is a possible connection or not. Wouldn't most things that could be causing this, be insulated by rubber seals etc,to stop this?enough rambling on by me for now,cheers....Jim
Shimma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also,when I looked at my rear springs,after reading elsewhere on here,about them flattening out abit after a few years,they do look like they have done this,so would that give a unstable lurchy feel, like the wheel nuts are real loose (they're not!!),when I move off under gentle acceleration,from about 4kph to 6-8 kph,it feels like there is side to side movement in the rear?would this make sense to anyone? Are the shocks stuffed?. I've checked as best I can,all the bolts and nuts holding everything around the rear end,even the small nuts on the uni's...just thought,I didn't check the u-bolts!!They have them,don't they?? Embarassed And by the way,I can't hear any unusual noise,when driving off.. From there to 95,it feels 'normal' handling/ride,then the real harshness sets in....as explained above
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought - have you also checked everything on the front to ensure it's all still tight? Track bar/control arms/etc?
Shimma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Rolling Eyes only 'cos it all feels like it's from the rear end somewhere....but I will do it tomorrow.,..cheers...Jim
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: problems Reply with quote

I'll start off with the smell, the cherokees sometimes have issues with a leak through the top of the firewall which ends up under the rug in the front. You can tell by lifting the carpet and looking for moisture on each side. If you have this the hard part is finding the leak. I found one by having my son run a hose while I watched for drips.

This "feel, like the wheel nuts are real loose" is most likely spring wrap. When the springs get old (they don't last long) they get straight on the forward side of the spring. What happens is you brake to a stop the rear lifts a bit and you get a normal arch in the spring. Then you take off and the spring inverts somewhat. Very annoying and you can control how it feels somewhat by how gently you brake and take off. Maybe the springs are letting the vehicle vibrate too, not sure but possible. I'd try new springs first, I hear the ones that come with the towing package last longer. I replaced mine last summer with a local spring company's springs and they are already wrapping so real Chyco is probably better.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Shimma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JeepinNH, Your thoughts sound spot on, I appreciate your response,and I'm taking the truck in tomorrow,and my mechanic can 'test' drive it,and all these thoughts from you people are great pointers,to help narrow it down. I'll tell him what you've said...thanks...Jim..
PS: as for the smell,again you will be right,the windscreen in it as it arrived to me,had a huge 4-5m/m gap along the bottom,only the rubber surround stopped insects,etc,coming into the cabin alive,such was the gap!!!!!really badly fitted,and as posted elsewhere,the noise blowin' thru,was real loud,so rain had an easy entrance....All good now with my new glass installed,quiet as......
Shimma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking it in this Monday,and they're gonna get the driveshaft checked for balance,as the two mechanics who took it for a decent run,up to 130kph!!, told me,it only got worse,the faster it went, they think it to be the shaft at fault.Well at least after it is checked,and hopefully itis outta balance,and needs to be redone,the shakin' will be gone,if not,well then we know it's not the driveshaft,so further searching,will be done...
Shimma

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update... the drive shaft was balanced,but only a very slight weight was used,the tremors I had before,faded ever so slightly. Now today(17 of May), I had my jeep in for a two inch lift,with 31 inch tyres(Maxxis).My problem with the harshness or fine vibration,at around 95-110 kph,has now gotten WORSE!!,about 5 times,as bad.'This vibration now comes in at 40-42 kph,fades somewhat to unnoticeable,at around 55kph,then starts back,at 90,and from there on, getting much worse. HINT!!.It only seems to do it,under hard acceleration,then when I let my foot off,it appears to diminish with the falling speed. When I reach say,100kph,and keep it at that,it lessens a little,not much,still an unpleasant tremor.As I say, by taking my foot off the gas,the vibration just about goes away,not quite,but if it ran like that 'smoothness',on acceleration,I'd be happy. Hard to tell from just where it seems to be coming from,as it seems the entire truck is doing it,and I suppose it is. My change in the center console,rattles like hell at certain speeds,around the 100-115kph,range!!,didn't do that before the lift.!! Could this be the Uni joints,although they appear tight,well the ones I can test.?I'm taking it back in to my mechanics,especially now as it has worsened, so would appreciate anyhelp as to what this could be. IT also had both a wheel alignment,and the new tyres balanced today. This vibration is also noticeable coming thru the steering wheel,not to be confused with outta balance tyre wobble,I know it aint that!!,but just the same amount as my feet/hands can detect ...Also the advice on these threads elsewhere, about the dropping of the transfer case,cos of the lift? does this need to be looked at,as well,perhaps? Hoping someone can help me out,a dang nuisance
cheers...Jim PS: My son has exactly the same Jeep and model,1 yr older than mine,the same place did his lift,same tires and it runs beautiful!!! no vibes!!GRRRRR!!
Shimma

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a mechanic took it for a drive,with me,he seems to think that maybe because it was in a left frontal accident,that maybe after the minor chassis straightening etc,that there could be still some unseen 'injury' to the uni joints,or the front driveshaft slightly damaged,we haven't bothered with that as yet,but they are going to drop it out,and then go for a drive,to see if it is the problem.If it still vibrates,the lefthand front wheel and gear will have to come out,so fingers crossed,it is just the 'bent 'maybe'?,front shaft.Any other thoughts as to what you may think it could be,also? cheers..Jim
Ricko70

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One sure way to tell is take your son's Jeep and swap things ONE at a time (and test drive it each time) until you find the problem.
Just my .02----Rick
Shimma

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May have to resort to that,but I'll wait 'til tomorrows mechanics thoughts after the testing etc
Shimma

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update: after fitting an 'after lift' XJ gearbox spacer kit,the vibrations have all but gone, I can just slightly feel it at around 105-115 kph,nothing at all to make driving the truck ugly now,and below that speed,no discernable 'tremors' at all,so my rear springs musta been really poked,and perhaps also the original front coils?,whatever it was,it's much better,and the mechanic said that he drove it without the front driveshaft in,just to check out the difference between that,and then putting it back in,and again driving it,he found NO difference!! Cool He said the front driveshaft uni joints were normal,so no need to replace them. YAY!!!! Cool
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

So what exactly was replaced to fix it? Maybe I missed something in a post. Did you replace the rear leafs and if so with what? Also, what is this: 'after lift' XJ gearbox spacer kit? Just curious... Smile

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: