Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xj door removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Xj door removal Reply with quote

Ok, 97 XJ, if there is a mod write up, sorry I couldn;t find it.
I am looking at feasability of taking doors on/off. I know I can unhook doorstop thing and wires easiy, whats the best way with the hinges? Can take out the T40 bolts each time, or can you knock out the pins? Maybe i can knock out the pins and make a new pin myself that has a head on it and is easy to remove. Anyone done anything similar?
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking the doors is fairly easy. There is a write up on it, I'll see if I can find it. Did mine, lots of fun Wink

On mine I took the pins out. Then cut the door hinge, cuting the lower part of the top and bottom hinge. Then put the pin back in & trim it just a bit. That way you just open the door lift up and it's out. Now for the wires I just unplugg them first. Then I have a bolt in each of the door bars Just lift them out and drop them back in when needed. Hope this helps, I'll look for a write up someone did.

EDIT: Found it!!! Here is for the 97 and up XJs enjoy

http://xjfanatic.com/97doorless.php
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, just got back from spring creek, in CO, where I got door damage before, but same exact rock, still red paint from before, got my rocker right below the door from last time ahaha

Here's the damage:

Thanks for the write up, I plan on doing that, jealous of my friends who could see....
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at that write up, there's something wrong though, either the write up is really for 96 and earlier or my hinges are not stock. My hinges are quite a bit different, there is no plastic part, only upper and lower metal parts on the frame and a middle metal part on the door, they all line up and a pin goes in there, but the pin deosn't look like it can be knocked out. I will try the hitch pins, but getting the old ones out will be different.
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a pic of the hinges and post them so we can see Mr. Green
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here:

All three parts are structural. In theory though you don't really need the bottom piece of each hinge, they keep the doors from pulling up (like I want them to). So if I cut off the lower piece(located on the door's side of the hinge) the doors should just be able to pull up and out, which I think I what you meant you did. there will be more stress on the pin, but only when the door is open, I don't think it will be enough extra to break the pin though. Was that on your 89? so you have hinges like mine, even though mine is a 97? I've got the doors figured out, just trying to see if my hingrs are different than they;re supposed to be. thanks
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks just like mine. That's what I ment too. rofl

Last edited by Billy's89XJ on Wed May 24, 2006 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you cut it them off with? I have a dremel, figure that's the smallest thing, have some reinforced cutoff wheels.
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed both doors, then the pins & finally the hinge. I used a 4-1/2 Dewalt metal cutting disc on my angle grinder
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy, just wanted to make sure, so you just cut off the lower piece of each hinge, so it just pulls up, when the doors open. Does it still swing and close pretty much the same or did it droop some after that? Got my tools out, ready to have some fun!
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srb96bravo wrote:
Billy, just wanted to make sure, so you just cut off the lower piece of each hinge, so it just pulls up, when the doors open. Does it still swing and close pretty much the same or did it droop some after that? Got my tools out, ready to have some fun!

Sorry been busy. I cut the lower part of the hinge off, shortened the pin and trimmed the plate around mine. I also took the speaker out so I can grab the wirring harness to store it in the door while removing or installing it. As long as you mark where the door hinges are, when you remove them, it will open & close fine. Looks like yours has been repainted so you should have no problems Wink
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna add a new post so you can see the end results. I also love having the hatch off too. The wires in the door I wrapped with wire loom for Auto Zone. You can use the rubber boot, I didn't wanted to improve the speed of door on / door off Wink Oh I also added a metal handle from lows right above the speeker hole, no door panel, trim or anything, the lighter the better rofl

Great thing with out the door you can see rocks, etc better. It's also great if you have someone shotgun too

It's also great when you do this rofl rofl

How did yours turn out?? Post some pics Wink
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get the torx out? I can only get a socket on the outtermost ones, but the inner I can't get at, is there a tool that is like a small torx bit on the end of a wrench? Tryed to knock pins out, but either they're stuck or they weren't meant to come out, I hope not. Not even room to hit them. Tryed cutting the hinges while door was on Jeep, well, didnt work. cant quite cut all the way through. So, help? thanks
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srb96bravo wrote:
How did you get the torx out? I can only get a socket on the outtermost ones, but the inner I can't get at, is there a tool that is like a small torx bit on the end of a wrench? Tryed to knock pins out, but either they're stuck or they weren't meant to come out, I hope not. Not even room to hit them. Tryed cutting the hinges while door was on Jeep, well, didnt work. cant quite cut all the way through. So, help? thanks

The inner ones I took out with a long handle alen wrench. Yea it's a lot easier to cut the hinges with the door gone Wink T
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill have to give that a try, thanks....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: