Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wheels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattjacks

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: wheels Reply with quote

does anyone know if i can fit any wheel on my xj bigger than 17'' with no mods to the suspension whatsoever?
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think it would also depend on what size tire your going with. I mean if you have a 17 inch wheel, you would just have to have a low profile tire. I guess just measure, depends on how low profile of a tire you are willing to use, those wheels are going to weigh a lot.
mattjacks

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in your opinion, what is the best type of wheel to go with, a steel or maybe like a cast or forged wheel. im not gonna be doin anything big off-road, so i was wonderin if it made a difference
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mechanic's son has some 18's on his but like you said never offroad and I'm sure the thing beats you up over bumps or knocks teeth out...haha But I'll say he can go around corners and brake a little better than I can so it's a trade. Figure on the stock tires depending on your model for tires with the 225 or 235's are gonna be a little under 29inches in diameter. Thus with let's say a 17 in rim, you will need to go with about a 235/65/17 like in the Hankkok or Yokohama brand, both good tires but the Yoko has a better treadwear rating of 460AA witch is about 60k give or take if you keep them rotated and in good shape. This size is right at 29.03 inches respectively. Now if you're going for a nice wheel package as well and you can find some with the proper back spacing, Nitto has a badass NT420S in 255/55/18 that is 29.04inches in diameter and I know will fit because my mech's son has these on a 18x8 in rim. The Hankook and Yoko are between $101 and $132 at discounttire online and the Nitto is $116 both in H and V ratings. Not that you will ever go 135mph in that jeep, right? haha And if you want to throw good money away Michelin has one at $170bucks in 235/55/18 which is a little narrower if you have rim width problems. As for wheels, try to find an alloy in that size if you go 17 or 18, a steel or chrome would kill you. Would need an extra 25 ponies just to get those bastards moving..ha I think the avg 17 is about 35 pounds and the 18 another 7-10. Hope this helps and good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: