Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DW Problems...HELP!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
telam

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: DW Problems...HELP!! Reply with quote

I've read most of the DW write-ups here and on Nagca. But Honestly. I'm stumped. I've had the local 4x4 shop electronically balance my tires. I've tightened every bolt in the system. I have the bolt on kit from procomp that changes to coils rather than leaf springs. I know these are famous for being prone to DW but I drove it for years with out one DW problem. Now!?! it happens every time I wheel. The YJ sits for a while and the ride to the trail goes smooth but worrisome. I wheel on average of about 4-6 hours then almost guaranteed I will suffer death wobble on the way home. I think that means that my bushings are worn out? What do ya'll think. I'm thinking of replacing my bushings with Heim Joints. Another note, when I turn (sometimes) the front suspension will buck repetetively until I stop then be fine. My grand did that when the control arm bolts were loose. I dunno. Help me out guys!! Thanks!!!!!

95 YJ
2.5L
Pro-comp Coil swap lift(5.5)
Geolanders with 50% tread
I run without front sway bars
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are your bearings?
telam

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked them. They seem fine. But I will get a second opinion in a couple of days. I'll let you know. I didn't know that the bearings could allow DW. That may explain why my Grand is acting funny. I KNOW it's bearings are bad.
telam

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bearings are not the problem... I am very frustrated...
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way you can duplicate the death wobble? Certain speed? Hit a certain size bump? How is your alignment? Worn tie rod ends? And did you check the track bar mounts to make sure the bolt hasn't turned the hole into an oval?
telam

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might want to add this. All four wheels are the cheap 'simu-lock' type steel wheels. Now I have had them balanced before. But now everyone in town is saying that they can only 'electronically' balance them. Which, I think is the problem. Maybe not.

As to you're question Code3TJ I can drive it at speed on smooth roads with no real problem. When I hit a bump an inch or bigger the death wobble starts to build fast and I have to brake hard to get it stable. But then its fine till I hit another good bump. All of the joints on my front end are worn. I will replace them soon. But I don't think they are the problem as they have BEEN worn. As to the tie rod, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by worn. I'll check it out and see about the bolt holes and such and see what I come up with. I just landed in atlanta from a long weekend in Chicago (Damn them some good blues!!) and I need a rest. I'll check everything during this week. Thanks for getting back to me.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you getting feathered wear patterns on the front tires? Have you jacked up the front end and wiggled a tire back and forth to see if there's free play? Yes, if you have worn components, they're likely the cause - every time you drive it, they wear more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: