Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

O2 sensor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: O2 sensor Reply with quote

Hey guys any one ever run there Jeep with out a O2 sensor for a while?? Why do I ask you say Rolling Eyes Easy my manifold has completely cracked around on of the outlets of the header pissed A friend gave me a newer model header to help me out. The problem, my old header had a place for the O2, the newer models had it in the down pipe. So was gonna run it till I can get my friend to make me a new down pipe for the O2 sensor.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT a smart move, especially on a MAP based PCM. You'll most likely run WAY rich, have idling problems, stall at lights, and could possibly wash your rings out due to over fueling and the in-ability of the PCM to go into a closed loop. Now of course that's all what CAN happen, I'd imagine you could get away with it for a LITTLE while, I just wouldn't tempt fate for too long.

Is there any reason you can't just lengthen O2 sensor wires so it will reach/fit the application? If your not good at wiring, I know lots of places sell O2 sensor extensions for long tube header kits...

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's what I thought. The only reason is I have to move the sensor to the down fall pipe, which means new pipe and a nut welded on it to have the sensor work there. Wanted to do the work here and dive up the road about 30 mins, to have a buddy of mine do it at his shop. Didn't want to have to do all of it up there. Might just drive up there and have him make one, to the point where I can drive home, install the pipe & sensor, clamp it, drive up there and have him weld it. Just means 2 trips & gas, dam gas prices rofl rofl
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a later model and you were talking about the downstream sensor, you could get away with it in the short term. The upstream is a different story though.

There's two options: I know Jegs sells weld on O2 Sensor fittings for $9...so I'm sure you could get one from a local speedshop...it would be as simple as drilling a hole in the header and welding it on.

The other option would be an O2 simulator. It plugs into the harness and "tricks" the ECM into thinking that the sensor is there. That'll run you $50-$100 though.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Steve!! I think I'll waste gas and make two trips rofl rofl

EDIT:Ok my buddy has the nut for $6 and will install for like $20 with the pipe. So I'll make 2 trips, not as bad as i thought it would be Rolling Eyes rofl rofl

EDIT 2:Has any one ever wrapped thier header with that headers wrap stuff hot roders use, to keep heat down?? Does it work good on the Jeeps?

Also the manifolds are differant the 1987-1990 has one big pipe that goes to the flange, with just the last port attaching to that one pipe design, the 1991-2001 has the first three to a collector and the last three also coming to that collector then to the flange, more of a header style exhaust manifold, gonna hurt anything??
KnightFire

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy's89XJ wrote:

EDIT 2:Has any one ever wrapped thier header with that headers wrap stuff hot roders use, to keep heat down?? Does it work good on the Jeeps?

It's not a great idea for a daily driven vehicle, for a race application it's fine.

Header wraps tend to actually TRAP in heat and moisture, thus reducing the life span of the headers by about 66%. There are silicone sprays and what not to keep moisture out, but you have to constantly re-apply the spray, more of a PITA if you ask me. If you want to do it right, I suggest Jet Hot or some other high temp coating, inside and out.

As long as everything seals up and is routed away from heat sensative objects, your new system will work fine.

JMHO

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnightFire wrote:
If you want to do it right, I suggest Jet Hot or some other high temp coating, inside and out.

X2
I'd look into that or ceramic coating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: