Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHAT TIRE CARRIER/REAR BUMPER COMBO ARE YOU USING! PROBLEMS?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
U.S.MarineLJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a little late in the thread but what the hell. I have ran three rear bumpers/swingaways.

1st, Durango4x4. A POS and their customer service is absolute crap, at least in my case. They made an attempt to make an amends with me, but it was only after severe pressure from members of an online forum chimed in in my defense. If you do a search on yahoo for "Durango4x4" you will see a couple of threads about my experience with them right below their link. The think rattled constantly.

2nd, Garvin Swingaway, rack, and one jerry can holder. Very very sturdy, rattle free easy to assemble, and IMHO well made. I loved it. Only PITA aspects were access to the highlift, spare tire when your using a rack and the threaded fastner for the swingaway. The highlift was stuck behind my spare tire, which might not have been an issue with a wheel with different backspacing, I was running 32's on the stock ravines.

If you're using a rack in conjunction with the swingaway it has two vertical supports that cross in front of the tire. They are affixed via a bolt on the top/bottom of the strut. In order to access your tire you need to undo the bolts. Kind of a PITA when you have a flat. You need to carry around a wrench to undo the bolts.

As for the threaded fastner while very secure and stout it was time consuming to remove and insert. At least IMHO. I'm in and out the back of my Jeep quite a bit, so threading the large screw became a hassle.

Other then that a great rack, great support and absolutly rattle free.

3rd rack - The venerable Jeeperman. I love it! I don't have a bad word about it. The latch is great, the pivot is stout, as is their modular add ons i.e. jerry can racks and basket. A very well thought out design. It includes a spring loaded stop, highlift holder, that is secured via nuts that are the same size as your stock lugs, so your lug wrench will work. A great rack.
Jeep4Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: RRC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier Reply with quote

Anyone know anythngabout the Rugged Ridge Bumper
RRC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier?
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: RRC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier Reply with quote

Jeep4Me wrote:
Anyone know anythngabout the Rugged Ridge Bumper
RRC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier?

Rugged Ridge is the current iteration of Steel Horse and Smittybilt....essentially crap. Look at something else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: