Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UH OH, leaking gas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: UH OH, leaking gas Reply with quote

my tank is completely full, well the guage reads over full, but just went to point that pump turned itself off. I was parked on a fairly steep hill, facing down. When I got back there was a big wet spot under the rear axle, turns out gas is leaking from the top, where the cables and lines go into the tank, running down the front of the tank and dripping. I have never had a leak before, bur never parked on a steep hill with a full tank. does this just mean there's a leak where the lines go in and I was just on a steep enough hill it came out? I thought the system depends on the tank being sealed, and if gravity caused it to leak, I'm sure the tanks not holding a seal. How serious is this?
Any help is great, thanks.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Leaking Fuel Tank! Reply with quote

First of all let me state, I do not know why your gas tank leaks and any fuel leak is fairly serious!

I recently replaced my tank, and have had a similiar problem. I reused the used Filler and vent hoses on my new Gas tank (stupid, stupid, stupid!)

I put it all back together and installed a Gas Tank Skid (Lack of which is why I was replacing this Gas tank in the first place!)

I discovered that JEEP ran fine BUT if I topped off, it leaked sort of like you describe! Never affected the performance. After it got down a ways no more leaking! My brilliant solution (again, stupid, stupid, stupid!) was not to top off! Went Offroad/On trail TWICE ( I learn very slowly, BUT I do learn eventually!) and was shocked to find out both times when I got in a off level situation (happens A LOT Offroad!) that i was again leaking fuel.

A fuel leak tends to draw A LOT of unwanted attention and the curiosity of almost every SMOKER!

Needless to say, after I got home the 2nd time; I dropped Gas Tank Skid (Pain in Butt!) then dropped the almost empty (never empty enough when you have to drop the gas tank singlehandedly!) gas tank. I discovered that I had a pretty good gough in the top of my filler hose. When the Tank is Pressurized (as you alluded to early in your post!) and near full it would cause gas to SPEW out! Fuel and air SPEWING out of Gas Tank sounds like an explosion waiting to happen doesn't it? I imagine even when the level was lower, the constant shaking of trail riding caused it to leak quite a bit too! (Shaking up the potential Moltof Cocktail!)

I troubleshot mine by dropping tank and plugging all openings and then GENTLY pressurized it with my Compressor (OUTDOORS in well Ventilated area!) and looked for leaks with soapy water concoction. I think the tank is only normally presurized to like 30 psi (maybe less?) but enough to cause gas and fumes to seek out ruptures!

I ordered and waiting for my replacement Fuel Filler and Vent hoses from Quadratec!!!!

May be something similiar with yours!

Be careful and put out those cigarettes/cigars!!!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I don't smoke so not worried about that, I guess I may been in for a new tank then? If I have to I'm going to put a new bigger tank in I guess. Other info?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: