Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New tires/wheels for a n00bie...help plz!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kramer240

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: New tires/wheels for a n00bie...help plz! Reply with quote

Hey guys, I know you get about 100 of these topics a day so i apoligize in advance. I'm a brand new Jeep owner and just got a 98 Wrangler. I don't like my stock wheel set up and want something new. I don't need mudding tires by any means, but I am planning on doing some offroading from time to time...but for the majority it will be road driven.

One of my buddies had 29.5" tires on his Wrangler and I liked them a lot, and I'm thinking anwhere from 29-30". I was thinking of getting spacers but decided against that and just thought I' d get a wheel with some offset to it instead. I'd like some width to them too but i'm not really sure how big to go. My stock rims aren't bad, but I don't think they're wide enough/have a big enough offset for what I want.

I don't even know my bolt pattern at this point so if someone could start me off there that'd be great! Any other comments, opinions, or pics of ur set up would help a lot too. My budget for tires is about $500 and as far as wheels go, i'd say under $100/wheel. Thanks so much!
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you want a decent tire wheel setup that fits your budget, wont require expensive gear changes, wont require a lift of any sort and is road friendly and pretty darn good off road then I would recomend:

Cragar soft 397 15x7 steelies 5x4.5" bolt pattern @4" backset

or

Cragar 342's with the same specs as above

Both of them run around $35+shipping which is cheap.

And for tires go for the new General Grabber AT2 tire. I felt these were the best AT type tire Ive ever used, and Ive used them all at 1 time or another.

Tirerack.com has 30x9.5 for $79 , and 31x10.5 for $88

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just something to think about, I really don't like using steel wheels, especially on vehicles that are underpowered (like Jeeps are) their too heavy, offer up too much rotation mass/resistance, and they rust...try looking for aluminum wheels that meet your taste and have enough backspacing for the future when you decide to run bigger tires (trust me, sooner or later you'll want bigger tires).

I don't have any personal experience with the tires WhatWasIThinkin posted, but they have seemed to get a few good reviews here on this board.

If your a Costco/Sam's Club member check out the BFG AT's, I got (5) BFG AT K/O 32x11.5x15 for under $600.00. I would also suggest getting the 31s, I think you'll be happier...longer...with those than the 30's.

JMHO

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kramer240

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey first off, thanks both of you a lot. i've been in the VW world for too long and this whole Jeep thing is new to me.

First off, those wheels and tires look really nice! But 31X10.5's will fit on my truck right now? Just double checkin' because I'm unsure of the clearance I'd get. And those wheels are sweet too, but I understand what you're saying KnightFire about the steelies...and considering I have a 2.5L Manual tranny, it's more or less "slow-and-go" as is. Because of this (just to keep my options open) does anyone suggest any good alluminum wheels?

I am in Sam's Club and will def. look at those BFG's. Those General Grabbers look just fine too. But those 31X10.5's will fit that 7.5" wheel?? Thanks a bunch guys i really appreciate it!

edit: i found some 31X10.5X15's on tirerace (the Grabber's)...won't those fit on my stock wheels???
paracutin

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kramer240 wrote:
hey first off, thanks both of you a lot. i've been in the VW world for too long and this whole Jeep thing is new to me.

First off, those wheels and tires look really nice! But 31X10.5's will fit on my truck right now? Just double checkin' because I'm unsure of the clearance I'd get. And those wheels are sweet too, but I understand what you're saying KnightFire about the steelies...and considering I have a 2.5L Manual tranny, it's more or less "slow-and-go" as is. Because of this (just to keep my options open) does anyone suggest any good alluminum wheels?

I am in Sam's Club and will def. look at those BFG's. Those General Grabbers look just fine too. But those 31X10.5's will fit that 7.5" wheel?? Thanks a bunch guys i really appreciate it!

edit: i found some 31X10.5X15's on tirerace (the Grabber's)...won't those fit on my stock wheels???

I recommend a 15x8 wheel for 10.5" wide tires. In fact, an 8" wheel will let you run 11.5" wide tires of you wanted to.
My 2000 TJ has the Jeep Canyon aluminum wheels. They are 15x8 and I run 31x10.5 Firestones.
31's are the largest tire you can run without a lift. I have seen guys with 32's but they ALL had rubbing problems.
Your bolt pattern is 5x4.5. Your backspacing can vary. My Canyon wheels have 5.5" backspacing and my tires are right to the edge of the fender flares. If you are worried about rubbing in tight turns you can get a wheel with a little less backspacing but your wheel/tire will stick out past the fender flare.
Kramer240

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey great, ^ thanks a lot man that helps a ton. I'm really looking into those GRabber's because they're good quality it sounds like and cheap.

And about the backspacing, I'd like to get a wheel with a little less backspacing not only for the rubbing issue, but also because I prefer the look to 'em. What backspacing woudl you recommend I get if I want it less than?

And can anyone recommend a good (preferably aluminum) 15X8 wheel? And what size are my stock wheels...15X7?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: