Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noise from Tire or Rear End?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Noise from Tire or Rear End? Reply with quote

Hi All from Down Under - im looking for feedback on a noise coming from the rear of my 96 XJ (stock) sounds just like a flat spot on a tire and varies in frequency with road speed but is only heard on acceleration and can vary with road surface changes...goes away immediately on cruise or decel...first noticed it after a day of playing in the sand where capstone was present with tire pressures down to around 16psi...there are no noticeable signs of a separated/damaged tire belt...if it were a tire issue i would think it would be there all the time...ive also had the rear diff serviced (twice now) and nobody said anything about any issues there but im thinking this could also be a ring and pinion problem (and yes, additive was used in the services)...the wrig has 118,000 miles on it and has been gone over with a fine tooth comb - the u joints especially have been examined several times and all looked good...the only other thing i can think it might be is the leading edges of the brake shoes (rough and worn down to 30%) might be rubbing the drum but the noise doesnt go away when i pull the ebrake handle...thanks in advance for anyones help - Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: