Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transfer case removal question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
egc519mzl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Transfer case removal question Reply with quote

I am taking out a 249 tcase from 5.2 94zj and now at the stage of taking out the 6 nuts that binds it to transmission. Three of the 6 nuts when turned would make the bolt turn, as well. Any suggestion on how to stop the bolt from turning is appreciated.

Also, is there a technique on how to remove the rubber hose that is connected to tcase? I was able to remove the lock but couldn't move the hose a bit.

Thanks...
cajzmere

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backup wrench on other side. cut the hose off.
egc519mzl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hose is cut... About the bolt, it is a stud bolt. Just continued turning the nut until the stud bolt came out.

I am on the last bolt and it is driving me crazy. That is so difficult to remove. I don't know how low can I drop the transmission jack so I can have room. Is that bolt torqued when installed? I just can't imagine how they torque it.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motor mounts will hold up if you lower it all the way..

But I would suffest you keep the jack at least a little under there..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you talkin about the top tcase bolt?

if so i took an old 9/16, i think it was the size, wrench cut it in half and used that
egc519mzl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is the top tcase bolt on the passenger side. I was able to take it out last night with the help of my friend and a little bit of cheating. I am a small, weak and old guy, so I had to do a bit of cheating.

I bought a 4in (length) 14mm ratchet wrench. Put that in the remaining bolt. Took another wrench, tied a looping rope and hook the wrench on the open end of the ratchet wrench. Took a two-inch diameter galvanized pipe, slid it through the rope and hooked it on the jack that is supporting the tcase. Now I have a lever. I asked my friend to apply pressure on the other friend. That worked but we had to do it twice to make loose enough.

Now my problem is how to slide the tcase out from the transmission. I couldn't move it a bit. I have to think of a way how to cheat again. Any suggestion is appreciated.
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double and triple check to make sure everything is disconnected and all the bolts are loose. also make sure the 4wd linkage is disconnected. i'm not sure if that's the same on the grands as on my XJ and TJ.

if everything is disconnected, then all it takes is a good jolt. i would recommend using a tranny jack. you can get one at harbor freight for about $50, or you could have a really strong person laying underneat and support it. if you have a tranny jack under it, then just yank it loose. if you have somebody underneat holding it, then using a prybar would be a little friendlier and safer.

and choose you "prybar locations" well, you don't wanna break the housing.
________
Ford Mondeo history

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 6 nuts holding it on.. IF you got them all and the linkage is disconnected and the speedo and shift mode indicator plugs are pulled ..It should pull right out..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cajzmere

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tell you absolutely use a tranny jack! Get the truck up as high u can too! Rent one, borrow one, buy one, whatever, it's way better than strongarming it out. Mine didn't want to separate either, a couple of good whacks with dead blow hammer fixed that. Have a pan handy, my shaft seal was leaking and I dumped about 1 1/2 qts. of tranny fluid on my just sealed driveway. You will ABSOLUTELY need the jack to put the t-case back unless you've got Stone Cold helping you or something. The jack is the best 'cause you can tilt AND raise it to the proper angles. I know this is a little late, but it may help with installation.... I used a 3 inch flexible head ratchet on that top bolt for removal AND installation. Good luck man!! If you got any more questions... I think made every mistake u can when i changed my t-case out. It's running great now though!!
egc519mzl

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is been a long time but I just parted it out last Friday. I can give you few good reasons why it took me long but would rather leave it there. The bottom line is, it is now out.
The reason for not sliding out easily is because the stud located at the most difficult to reach location is surrounded by rust and RTVs. Applied a lot of not-so strong blows (not much space in there) of a hammer. Don't worry about my tcase, it is already broken. I meant, there is a hole at the bottom.
I am now in the process of swapping whatever needs to be swapped. I bought a 231 (I think it is from 93 XJ) to replace my 249 (94 ZJ). I will create another thread for this. I will probably do it this coming long weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: