Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another power steering question

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: another power steering question Reply with quote

Ok, long story short, I had to take a return hose off the PS res. and the res completely drained dry. It was leaking, so it was already basically empty. I moved it 20 yards from my drive into my garage without any fluid, yes it made some aweful noises, but like i said i drive it 20 yards and it wasnt running fast or very long, under 30 seconds. I got it all patched up, put more fluid in it, and of course I had to top it off a couple times. Problem is, the pump is still making some noises. I thought maybe I had some air pockets in it but it has been doing it for 3 days now. The fluid level is constant now too. Any ideas? Surely I didnt tear up the pump in the short amount i moved it. But I dont know of anything else it could be. I read in the hanes manual how to bleed the system. They suggest running at idle, then turning wheels, then driving it a short distance then topping off fluid. That didnt help. Any thoughts?

'98 TJ SE
15x7 ProComp Series 51 Rock Crawler Wheels
31x10.50 General Grabber AT2's
Taurus Fan
Uniden PC68 Elite CB

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that you did hurt the pump in the little time you had it running. Those bearings appear to be pretty fragile.
1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport: 4.0L, AW4, 235/75 Wild Spirit's

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fill the reservoir with the vehicle manufacturer's recommended power steering fluid and let it set UNDISTURBED for a few minutes while you recheck your work

Raise the front of the vehicle and support the axle (small jack stands are perfect for this) so that the tires miss touching the ground. WITHOUT STARTING THE ENGINE, slowly begin to cycle the steering wheel. The word SLOWLY is means about 1 revolution of the wheel every 8~10 seconds. Continue to add fluid to the reservoir as necessary. While Mike and I slowly worked the steering wheel back and forth, the fluid level would rise and fall and then we would have to add some more. Finally, the fluid level barely changed as we turned the wheel from stop to stop and it seemed as though we had gotten the bulk of the air out of the system.
1600+ Write-ups, and more
My Writeups | My Heap
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: