Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tranny help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zjhutch95

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Tranny help Reply with quote

Some how my chain on my TC has worn through the bottom of my case and there is about a 1/4 inch hole there now. SO what do I need to do? Do i need to replace the how TC and if so where can I get a good used TC? OR should I try to patch the hole and buy a new chain? And I dont know what model I have b/c the tag is missing. Its a 95 GC Laredo 6cyl. Ill take any help I can get here
nixt

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Tranny help Reply with quote

If your transfer case shift lever has 2wd, Neutral, 4wd High, and 4wd Low, then it is the part-time Command-Trac NV 231. If it has 2wd, Neutral, 4wd full time, 4wd High, and 4wd Low, then its is the part/full-time NV 242. The full time NV 249 was not offered with the 4.0 I-6 until the 1996 model year. If I was you, I'd try to find a transfer case from a salvage yard or on the internet. Try to get one from the same model year and with the same engine. I purchased my 242 case on ebay for a little less than $250.
If the case actually has a hole in it, then I would expect that all of the lubrication would have drained out and now dirt and road grime has gotten in. I wouldn't drive it until the case has been repaired or replaced because if it has no lubrication then it is only a matter of time before it detonates and possibly damages other parts of the drivetrain. You could look at this as an opportunity to upgrade the 4wd system on your vehicle with heavier duty parts or with different low range gears but if you get a replacement case that is similar to what you have now and is a direct replacement, then you won't have to purchase new driveshafts.
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget that cherokees also have the 231 case as well as the 242 so you are not limited to just grand cherokees
zjhutch95

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: NV or NP Reply with quote

What does NV stand for is it the same is NP ?
BFG A/T
Brush Guard
3 6" KC Lights
nixt

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Tranny help Reply with quote

NV stands for New Venture. NP stands for New Process. They are the same transfer cases the company simply underwent a name change. I don't know what year it changed, but they are one in the same.
Also, if you do replace your transfer case, avoid the 249. It has no positive attributes. The viscous coupling is expensive to replace and it lacks 2wd so it may decrease your fuel economy. So if you want to have full time 4wd, go with the 242.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
nixt

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Tranny help Reply with quote

Just as 1fox2go said, you are not limited to Grand Cherokees in finding a salvaged replacement transfer case. I haven't seen any write-ups about it, but if you can find the 241 transfer case from the Wrangler Rubicon at a reasonable price, you would get a 4:1 low range in a heavier duty case. I would suspect that it would be a direct replacement into a Grand Cherokee but I don't know if it would allow your Vehicle Information Center to acknowledge which mode the transfer case is in. Regardless of which case you use, try to get one from a Jeep that has the same 4.0 I-6 that your ZJ has, that way the shaft in the case is of the same length. However, if get one with a different shaft you can swap the shaft from the case you have now into the replacement case. Check out Swampy's write-up on the 249 to 242 swap. It is a great resource and the information can be applied to other transfer cases; not just the 249 and 242.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
zjhutch95

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the useful information, I think I may just stick with the 231, to make things simple I really dont use my 4wd alot, I just need to get it fixed to drive. Well I guess ill start calling some salvage yards. Thanks again guys
BFG A/T
Brush Guard
3 6" KC Lights
egc519mzl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing with my case. I have a 94 ZJ with a shot tcase. Still in the process of swapping my 249 with a 231. I believe the 231 is from 93 XJ. Completed the input shaft swap and is now trying to figure out how to couple my front output to the driveshaft. It has different size of yoke.
I will try to install it without the front driveshaft.
egc519mzl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by the way, I bought the tcase from the Parts For Sale section....
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why dont you try using the yolk from the 249...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
egc519mzl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 249, the tread is in the double cardan joint and has larger size. In my donor, the tread is in the yoke and has a smaller size. I will look for a driveshaft from an XJ. I guess, I have to replace something. Like you said on another post, I probably need to change my front driveshaft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: