Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Shock Time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: New Shock Time Reply with quote

Well, I'm kinda in the market for new shocks now. My current ones are the factory originals and are definitely showing they're age with nearly 140K miles on them. I'm looking for some with very good on-road manners that aren't very expensive. I've heard good things about the Monroe(?) Sensa-Tracs. Anyone?

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait...140k on the originals? hmm gonna be nice gettin those off lol. I have the monroe's on my wife's '92 2wd and they are ok for the way she drives on the road but if you have a 4wd, I suggest you move up to a stronger, stiffer gas model. I have currently on my '91 4wd Rusty's that came with the 3in lift kit and the price is I believe, around $30 ea. I can feel the back end a little more because of the AAL I installed but the front end rides like a caddy compared to the gabriel gas I had previous, and for half the $. Rancho makes a nice shock in the RSX or 5000 series and you can find them on e-bay for about $35-55 ea. plus shipping of course. They are a solid shock and I have not heard anything bad about them yet, so you have options. But you will get what you pay for and like I said on my 2wd the monroe's were under $100 at my local advanced or autozone and I installed myself in an hour. Hope this helps and good luck. p.s. Check out O'rileys out your way.
majikxms

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titan4u2c wrote:
Wait...140k on the originals? hmm gonna be nice gettin those off lol.

Let's talk about this for a moment because it's a matter of working on your XJ for 4 hours or more vs 30 minutes. Titan is absolutely on point, I believe Renegadestang is experienced enough to know that he will break shock bolts. For those of you who do not have air tools (air ratchet or impact wrench), find some prior to doing a shock replacement. A light feathering of the impact wrench set on it's lowest setting will loosen the bolt without breaking it, at least normally, sometimes you still have the one that still needs to be drilled but that is rare. If you do not use air tools expect at least 1 to break, sometimes all 4 on the rear.
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I'm expecting to be breaking a few bolts, especially since my Jeep hails from the North (woo hoo Confused )

I had also considered looking at the Skyjacker and Rancho's. I'm pretty sure I want a Hydro shock as from what I've heard the Nitro's are a bit stiffer and 98% of my driving is on the road.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: