Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jacking up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: jacking up Reply with quote

I'm about to buy some 31s in the next week or so (finally). The stock jack is almost all but useless as it is, it only gets the tire about half to one inch off the ground. Are there any areas on the chassis where it is reinforeced? I plan to buy a high lift but might have to wait a few more weeks before I get the cash to get rocker guards or new bumpers. Or should I just keep a few blocks of wood in my car?
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
egc519mzl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I did. Put a few blocks of wood. So far, it works fine. Even more convenient because with just few turns or pump, your vehicle is already up in the air.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blocks of wood will work til you get some rocker protection and hi lift..

But once you get the rockers and hi lift .. be very carefull high lifts are unstable and will fall right over without any warning.. I always say a hi lift is a 2 person job.. One to hold the jack straight while the other changes the tire... rofl

I used to carry wood with me .. Now I carry a hi lift and a small jack stand..
Jack stand is for putting under the axle once you are jacked up so that you can get the vehicle on there to keep the jack from falling over..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: jacking up Reply with quote

A hi-lift jack is definitely the way to go. But be careful where you try to jack up your jeep or you'll just crush the exterior bumper cover or body panels. I bought the hi-lift bumper lift and the lift mate accessories to use until I get up enough money to purchase the Kennesaw Mountain Multi-carrier bumper that is strong enough to actually jack the vehicle up from. By the way, if a hi-lift is too pricey, you can always try to get a used agricultural jack that should be alot cheaper and a hell of alot stonger. Although they can be alittle big and if you try to get a new one it may cost about the same.
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: