Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dashboard Leaking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usemy3rdArm

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Dashboard Leaking Reply with quote

I have a 2000 sahara and ive been having problems with water coming in under the dash, i was driving in a storm the other day and felt drops on my foot i cant figure out for the life of me where its coming from passenger side too! bum seal maybe?
mudding

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had the same issue with my 2002 Sahara --

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8357

The bad news is from what the guy at the shop told me was that sometimes the plugs get caught full of dirt and junk .. blow some air into it and see if the stuff comes out if not they told me that it would involve removing the dashboard to get to it ..

from what I have been told .. its down by the firewall at a 45deg angle hose

Good luck
gtrsnax

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is the hood vent right under the windshield on the cowl. Frequently during a rainstorm water gets in there, fills up a little and if it's rusted a hole through over the years, the water ends up dripping down into the tub. I have a 97, and bought a plastic guard that goes over the hood. The 97s though have a LONG vent, as opposed to everythng else newer, and the cowl is bowed, but the plastic hood vent is straight. Poor design, but no water leaks into the cab.
You can pick up one that will fit your year much better, they're only about $20 I think. Plus they help to "grab" more air and force it through your vents when you have them open. Its just another thought about your situation.
Usemy3rdArm

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where can i find the plugs? inside the jeep or under the hood?
Gamgan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Tomorrow Im taking off my cowl cover to check for hole made by rust

I think that might be the problem with the water leaking under my dash
on my TJ98 . I peeked under the cowl a few days ago when I was checking the seal that sits in front of it and noticed it looked rusted
dsgodda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2000 Sahara that leaked every time it rained. I took it to three dealers a total of 11 times. Each time, they recaulked the firewall and told me they solved the problem. It leaked until the day I sold it!
Usemy3rdArm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsgodda wrote:
I had a 2000 Sahara that leaked every time it rained. I took it to three dealers a total of 11 times. Each time, they recaulked the firewall and told me they solved the problem. It leaked until the day I sold it!

ugh dont say that!
basicly what i have done was take the floor plug out and so far the water has just been draining out, still waiting for that hardcore monsoon to hit and we'll see what happens then
tonloco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is somthing else to check on my yj after putting the windsheild down a couple of times i too noticed a sinificant amount of water coming in under the dash what i ended up doing is siliconing the heck out of the windsheild gasket and that stopped the leak

good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: