Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our Jeeps

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quadna71

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

latest stuff....
yanked all the RE stuff in favor of RK's long arm upgrade. i kept my spring/shock configuration but the longer arms are sweet!!! i'll get some shots of it hopefully by tuesday and i'll edit them into here.
chris
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, keep me posted on the RK stuff. The price is really tempting, but I've yet to hear much feedback about this version of the kit. Only feedback has been the original less than favorable of the old style....whenever someone seems to ask about it, they're usually referred to a search which results in two year old threads bashing the old company and recomending RE (or Clayton if it's sorta recent) Wink . Danke Mr. Green .

Oh yeah, which rear setup did you opt for? The bolt on or weld in truss? I'll keep editing as I remember more of my questions rofl .

'nutter question...what about the exhaust? Whatchya runnin? Require a custom setup or will any ole bolt on cat back system suffice?
quadna71

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

click on this pic to see a few others i took last night in the back yard. nothing taller around though....so it isn't completely flexed. um, no real exhaust changes other than the magnaflow muffler last year...this kit doesn't interfere with it. oh, and the bolt-on diff plate...didn't want the weld on cradle until i was certain i liked the kit. let me know if you like it, hate it, or have any other thoughts on it. later...
chris

'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular exhaust mounting, more good news Mr. Green . I'm liking it more and more, do me a favor and post back on how the bolt on truss holds up (loosens easily thru normal wear,etc.) and how the road mannerisms are after you've had a chance to run it for a bit. Thanks x2 Smile .
quadna71

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a chance yesterday to play on our club's 30* ramp. i'm still pretty please with the arm kit all around...but it seems that i should be getting a little more rear flex out of it. i tried ramping in reverse with my original setup (4.5RE springs w/1 3/4" spacers) and it was pretty stiff. so i swapped them out for some 8" skyjacker springs - much softer feel yet still not the flex i was looking for. keeping my front anti-swaybar connected would twist the rear axle plenty....but that's not an option when in the rocks. i'm starting to think that the length of the upper 4-link arms in the back may have something to do with it - but i'll keep playing with it some more.
in the meantime i think that an anti-rock may be in order. that would solve my next problem as well - too much flex in front! i could throw out a spring anytime i wanted...and brakelines doubled as fiddle springs. dropping the hard lines solved that problem but i'm still desperately in need of longer shocks now.
anyways, i think that i'll have to save up for the anti-rock a little longer and just concentrate on the shock length and positioning for now. i'm thinking some ford towers welded into the front will help for starters. that way i can raise the upper mounting point about 2.5", angle it outward to prevent rubbing through the articulating arc, and also swap to eye mounts at both ends. the eye mount ends will keep me rotating the shocks properly as well. i'll leave the position alone for the rear shocks for now - maybe just picking up a longer set of cheapos to keep my axle happy. once i get the articulation/bind issues worked out then i can think about cutting my frame Smile
chris

quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been living up here in jersey for the past month and a half while uncle sam has me attending a class. last week we took a side route to the local mall for christmas shopping - ended up playing some in the mud/sand of the pine barrens. it sort of broke my normal rule of thumb for "no muddin"...but like they say - "when in rome...". here are some shots.
chris

p.s. has anyone else noticed that this state smells sort of "funny"???

quadna71

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

latest change:

swapped out the MT/R's in favor of the BFG MT's. i had a set of them when i was on 33" tires and i liked them plenty...thought i'd try them again only i went with the 35" size. 37" just seemed too bulky and hard to handle given my stock wheelbase. i could drive over anything in front of me...but it also seemed sort of like it would "pop" up alot considering the size of springs it took to clear the tires well. so after putting the 35" tires back on i went back down on to my original 4.5 RE springs - but only with the RK arms and such. i can say that it sure rides even smoother than before!

4" w/short arms - pretty stiff
4.5" w/short arms - yeah, stiff
6.5" w/short arms - fillings? who needs fillings?
8" w/long arms...felt sort of like back when i was at 4" with shorts...but pretty smooth considering
4.5" w/long arms - oh yeah...here's where the gravy is. me likes! Smile

now, time to rework three things.

steering - gonna use 3/4 ton TRE's with DOM in between them. not sure if i'll tap the DOM directly in favor of using tube adapters. still concerned about clearances on the brackets and diff cover though.

brake lines - replumbing the whole jeep. i want the lines to be snaked down the arms so that nothing gets stretched by articulation. i have all the stuff (25' tubing, fittings, cutter, bender, flare kit, etc...) to do it in the garage but just need the time and energy.

shocks - i want a setup that more suits the long arm kit and my current shocks. i have the original DT's in front that came with the 4.5 springs and some skyjacker nitro's in back..but they are a hair too long as i had them sized for the higher lift. i'm gonna look into repositioning some of the mounts (front and back) and then remeasure while on either the backyard stump or our club's RTI ramp. any ideas on brands and models - and why???
chris
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:
p.s. has anyone else noticed that this state smells sort of "funny"???

Haha...I missed this the first time. Yeah, NJ definitely has a funny smell. I like to say it's the armpit of New York.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:

swapped out the MT/R's in favor of the BFG MT's

Outstanding Mr. Green . Tired of being the only one on the BFG bandwagon 'round here rofl . I'm hoping to hit that 'gravy' stage soon myself, after debating back and forth between making the 4+" and 35's work or go back to 3ish" and 33's, I'm opting for the 35's. Prolly gonna be the same arm setup as well, but I'm sure I'll change my mind 500 more times before ordering anything Rolling Eyes .
quadna71

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC last weekend.

quadna71

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picked up a winch and mount this week. also went with a currie steering system instead of fabbing my own (no time Sad) and will be putting it all on friday morning. i'll post pics hopefully that afternoon.
chris (looking for 3/4" spacers for the front already)
quadna71

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the winch, mount and currie stuff on. stretched the cable and called it a day. i feel better already about the next trail ride knowing i have it (just in case).
chris (and shelly - she's the one posing in front Smile )

Last edited by quadna71 on Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great man thumbs . I've given up trying to play catch up flipoff agree Mr. Green .
quadna71

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated the vitals list and added some progression pics to the first post.
chris
quadna71

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing special...just some shots from last month at RC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Photo Album All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: