Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying a used jeep

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Buying a used jeep Reply with quote

Greetings to all jeep owners,
I am buying a 1997 jeep wrangler 4cly 5 speed. the jeep has a new top and only one tiny spot of rust on the bottom of the windshield. underneath the jeep it looked good except I noticed that what appears to be oil leaking from the oil pan and it looks like it was on front of the transmission. Is this a great concern or will a lower gasket kit fix the problem. i noticed when I drove the jeep that when I stop the oil pressure gage dropped some and when I take off it increases. The jeep handled good and did not get hot. The jeep is a one owner and has 116,000 miles on it. This will be my first jeep and needed some imput to see if this is a problem. I am concerned about the high mileage but I know people that has alot more mileage on theres. Thanks in advance for any imput
Kingsport Tn. 37660 Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil guage might jump around because of dirty contacts, this is easy to get cleaned by a mechanic. It cost me 60 bucks to get all contacts cleaned out.

As for the leak , if its under the oilpan it might just be a leaky gasket, unless its running out from the engine and just sliding down stuff to drip out from the oilpan

116k miles doesnt sound so bad for a 97, these jeeps where made to last as long as they are taken care of. Your best bet is to ask the guy to let you take it to a local Jeep mechanic and have them do a diagnostic on it
and a full check up.

You wont regret it
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: