Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'90-94 XJ HP D30 parts questions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: '90-94 XJ HP D30 parts questions... Reply with quote

Hey there.

I've got a '90-94 XJ HP D30 that I want to put on my 2000 TJ. I don't know much about all the parts or whats needed to fix it up. I know I will need new seals all round. My questions are primarily for trail parts as well as carrier.

For the carrier, I want to run 4.10s. Based on the little data plate on the D30, it's got 3.73:1 ratio. I counted the teeth on the ring and divided it by the teeth on the pinion to get a close number to that so I'm certain it's 3.73:1. The question is, will the carrier support 4.10:1 ring and pinion or do I have to replace the carrier?

For the ujoints on the D30, I've heard that the '90-94 XJ D30 had 260x (or is that x260) ujoints which are smaller than the 297x (x297?) ujoints on the 2000 TJ D30. My questions are: which ujoints are referred to for the "260" size? The ujoints in the steering? The pinion yoke to the drive shaft? Or all? If the pinion yoke to driveshaft, then would it fit my 2000 TJ driveshaft or would I have to replace the yoke or something at that spot? Or could I just get the 297x ujoints and stuff in the same spots as the 260x ujoints?

Are there any mods that I would need to do to set it up properly before I plug it in like Legos onto my TJ?

Lastly, what's the best way to clean out the internals of the diff to get out any dirt, grime, and old gear oil?

Thanks for any information,

-Trevor
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 260 vs 297/760 u-joints is in reference to the axle shaft u-joints. The driveshaft joints are 1310s.
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good. I was a little confused as to what people were referring to (during all my searches) when the 260 vs 297 ujoints were compared. I couldn't find any diagrams to help me find which ujoints were what. Is there a stronger choice ujoint in replace of the 260, on the relatively cheap side for these? I'm not particular a hard wheeler, but I do get rough on occasions. So far, I haven't actually broken anything yet. *knock on wood*

thanks,

-Trevor.
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stronger choice is to upgrade to the 297/760 series u-joints and respective shafts.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and if you have 3.73's you should be able to go to 4.10's without replacing the carrier.

My question would be why not just go to 4.56's Trevor? I know you...if you can squeeze 37's under it...you will.

rovertmutt wrote:
I'm not particular a hard wheeler, but I do get rough on occasions.

Man, is that an understatement. rofl

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why I'm going 4.10s is that the Ford 8.8 is already geared to 4.10s. Altho, you've got until fall to convince me. I definitely won't be going 37s. I don't have the budget for a 6" long arm. 35s maybe.

Unless I win the lottery. Finger

Would I be able to slip the TJ's D30 axle shafts into the XJ's D30? Or would the TJ's D30 not have the 297 ujoints?

-Trevor.
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rovertmutt wrote:
The reason why I'm going 4.10s is that the Ford 8.8 is already geared to 4.10s. Altho, you've got until fall to convince me. I definitely won't be going 37s. I don't have the budget for a 6" long arm. 35s maybe.

Unless I win the lottery. Finger

Would I be able to slip the TJ's D30 axle shafts into the XJ's D30? Or would the TJ's D30 not have the 297 ujoints?

-Trevor.

All TJs have the larger u-joints. They will swap right in if the HP30 housing is not a vacuum disconnect housing. If it is, you need to add an inner oil seal to the passenger side of the differential housing.
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that a vacuum disconnect looks like a box on the long tube with four bolts. Mine I'd don't think has one since it looks similar to my TJ D30 except as a HP. The shafts themselves had ball bearings encased in a metal sleeve between the inner and outer shafts instead of ujoints and yokes.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rovertmutt wrote:
I'm assuming that a vacuum disconnect looks like a box on the long tube with four bolts. Mine I'd don't think has one since it looks similar to my TJ D30 except as a HP. The shafts themselves had ball bearings encased in a metal sleeve between the inner and outer shafts instead of ujoints and yokes.

Sounds like you got one from an AWD unit with CV joints. I didn't know DC equipped XJs like that but I'm not 100% certain either. Ditch those shafts, use your TJ shafts.

You have a non-disco housing also. No special seal to install.
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I was going to ditch those anyway since I'm not certain how to fix em if the bearings go out. And they're nasty greasy. shock
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: