Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Liftin' the TJ

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Liftin' the TJ Reply with quote

Soooo...I ordered all the parts for the lift today. I got the deluxe OME kit that DPG Offroad is offering (thanks Mike for pointing me to that). Worked it out with Dirk to tweak it a little though...

Basically, I got the 2.5" OME HD springs, OME shocks and JKS quick discos that come with the kit. I then opted to omit the Rear Bumpstop Spacers, Rear Trackbar Extension Bracket, JKS 1.25" Body Lift and JKS Motor Mount Spacers in favor of:
JKS Adjustable Front Trackbar
RE Adjustable Rear Trackbar
1" T-case drop
2" Front bumpstops
1.5" Rear bumpstops

I also snagged 5 Crager 352's...
...which I'll wrap with 32" BFG MT's.

Needless to say, I've got some work to do.

I'll document it all and grab a lot of pics during the install for a writeup.

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE! Very Happy

How come 32's? Looks like you will plenty of room for 33's with that combo.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
NICE! Very Happy

How come 32's? Looks like you will plenty of room for 33's with that combo.

Mainly cause I'm not quite sure if 33's will fit under full flex. IMO, they might fit...but they might not. I'd hate to get 33's, have 'em rub and have to go back and do a BL...on the other hand I would love to put 33's on it.

If enough people chime in and say I can fit 33"x12.5" with 2.5" of lift (or even better, someone is running the same combo with no probs) I might decide to do it. Mr. Green

Steve

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ya had kept the body lift, I'd say 33's no prob. I ran 33's with just my 3" Tera coils (about 3.5" of lift) without any rubbing and that's probably what you'd end up with running OME plus a bl. You'll probably be just as happy with that setup and 32's, besides, it'll be easier on the stock gears (3.73's?).
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops......I mis-read this part Rolling Eyes
Quote:
I then opted to omit

I'd still cram the 33's under there, but thats just me Twisted Evil

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
If ya had kept the body lift, I'd say 33's no prob. I ran 33's with just my 3" Tera coils (about 3.5" of lift) without any rubbing and that's probably what you'd end up with running OME plus a bl. You'll probably be just as happy with that setup and 32's, besides, it'll be easier on the stock gears (3.73's?).

Yeah, 3.73's and a stick. I wuz just thinking about it and with the combo of the lift and bumpstops I would probably be able to fit 33's....only thing is the wheels have 3.75" of backspace...so I would almost definatley rub on the outer edge of the flares. I intend to replace them with extended flares (and put the old ones on the XJ), but not right away...so 32's is probably the way to go.

...at least by my logic anyway. Mr. Green

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
I'd still cram the 33's under there, but thats just me Twisted Evil

haha...yea. The thing is that although I call them "mine", both Jeep are technically "ours" and DD's as well. My fiance drives the TJ about 50% of the time (and for most of the miles), so I don't want to create any problems for her.

Steve

Quote:

Last edited by ThePhantum on Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
...so I would almost definatley rub on the outer edge of the flares.
Steve

Hey! Rubin's Racin'..........er umm sorry wrong forum Mr. Green

'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran my 33's for quite awhile with 3.73's and I thought it was okay.....what that really means is I couldn't afford to regear and hated it, but wouldn't tell anyone else that and tried to convince myself otherwise Wink Mr. Green . It's amazing what one tire size difference can do, but when I was at 3.73/32", I was completely happy with the road and trail performance. As soon as I bumped up to 33's, it bogged down in a hurry and crawling on the trail turned into a joke. Just something else to think about Smile .

Remember, when ya here I love my 33's and 3.73's... they either have a 3spd auto or are in denial like the rest of us were/are rofl .
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent choice, I'm sure you wont be disappointed with it. When you fit it remember a few things. The front coil marked Left goes on the Right (Passenger side) and the one marked Right goes on the Left (Drivers side) this only applies to the front. No shit! This was the instructions I got out of OME. I'll see if I can find the email for you. You will need a right angle drill for the rear trackbar relocation bracket.

Cool! good mod
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAJeeper wrote:
Excellent choice, I'm sure you wont be disappointed with it. When you fit it remember a few things. The front coil marked Left goes on the Right (Passenger side) and the one marked Right goes on the Left (Drivers side) this only applies to the front. No shit! This was the instructions I got out of OME. I'll see if I can find the email for you. You will need a right angle drill for the rear trackbar relocation bracket.

Cool! good mod

Good stuff to know going in. I take it they marked the springs based on your facing the vehicle (facing the nose for the front springs and facing the tailgate for the rears). Not sure if I'll need the right angle drill since I did not get the bracket...I opted for an RE adjustable rear trackbar instead.

You should really read ENTIRE posts Mike...not just the first two sentences. Finger

laugh

Steve

Quote:
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where ya located at? I think you'll love the 3.73s and 33s rofl

It's the setup I currently run and YES I wanna regear, but it's cool for now. I'm gonna focus more on armour, then regearing as I upgrade the tires down the road, it's bearable, but I'm sure that the more I hit the trail, the more I'm gonna feel they aren't bearable. But to start, no reason to regear, IMO. Good luck!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black2001TJ wrote:
Where ya located at? I think you'll love the 3.73s and 33s rofl

It's the setup I currently run and YES I wanna regear, but it's cool for now. I'm gonna focus more on armour, then regearing as I upgrade the tires down the road, it's bearable, but I'm sure that the more I hit the trail, the more I'm gonna feel they aren't bearable. But to start, no reason to regear, IMO. Good luck!

I'm literally a stones throw (OK...'bout a mile) North of the Richmond city limits in VA.

The more I think about it the more I'm gonna stick with 32" BFG MT's. That will be a HUGE improvment of the 30" GY GSA POS tires that are on there now. I have to keep it not only streetable but 5th gear needs to be useable as well...it sees between 260 and 390 highway miles a week.

I have some money to play with but not enough to regear...with a wedding to pay for and a house to buy I have to pick and chose my mods (2 Jeeps and a 67 Camaro) carefully.

It'll get worse once there are...what do you call those little humans again...oh yeah...children in the picture. Mr. Green

Steve

Quote:
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran 32's for a long while. They do just fine. I ran VooDoo (a red trail) at PAP on my 32's, and they worked well onroad also
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran 33's under my jeep for over a year without a bodylift

and now 33's with a body lift

I have the same lift OME with a 1" bl and 1" MML I love it, it handles great and rides great

My Morning Jacket
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for the springs being on the wrong side is that they drive on the left in Aus. Now why the rear ones dont change escapes me. The front pair are slightly different, I think the rears are the same. Does it make a difference? Dunno, but they take the trouble to mark them for a reason so it must at some level. tool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: