Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front end wrangler vibration out of control

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicejha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Front end wrangler vibration out of control Reply with quote

My guess is I am not the only with this problem ... the Jeep front end vibrates almost out of control from the front axle to the stearing wheel after hitting a rough patch in the road ... but only at 50 MPH or above ... if I do not back the speed off it gets worse and worse ... I have to pull off. (not easliy done when the stearing wheel is vibrating so hard).

Changed the front end stablizers to heavy duty but it hasn't helped. It's a 2003 Wrangler X ... 60,000 miles ... Goodyears ... and yes they are worn and need to be changed ... no other off road work (yet) to this jeep ... and yes she goes off road. New to the forum and before I go in ... could use some knowledge.
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what's called "deathwobble".

a steering stabilizer won't fix anything. a steering stabilizer only helps keep a steering system smooth.

CHECK:

tires, balance, tie rod ends, track bar, ball joints and sometime wheel hubs.

also do some searchin on here, google and other forums for "deathwobble"
________
Lexus LS awards list history

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vicejha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpio ... thanks so much ... you bet did that search and found another forum member ... also with an XJ ... same problem ... but no post yet on the solution there ... that was June 9.

Sooo ... I am going to check out everything starting tomorrow ... bought it used and was just about to start "fixing it up" new bumbers, winch, 31" tires ... etc ... but I ain't doin nothing till this gets straightened out (no pun intended)

PS ... that damn "death wobble" is the scariest thing I've experienced in the Jeep and I am not a poser ... I'd rather off-road right now than drive this thing on the highway.
vicejha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpio I spoke too soon ... it seems the soltuion is to check everything you mention ... although from what I've read ... start with the tie rods ... bearings, allignment ... ummm you get the picture ... thanks so much for idenitfying the problem ... I will post again if the soltuion is found ... death wobble ... what an approproate name.
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah if you just bought it, then i would keep it the way it is for a while and work out the bugs. that way when you start modding it, you know it's condition.

and yeah death wobble can be pretty bad. last weekend we were following a friend of mine, and when his big chevy truck hit a bump at 50mph, he instantly got such a bad death wobble that his truck litterally jumped about 3feet to the left. the truck looked like it got whip lash and ever bit of rust and mud that was on/under the truck came flying down. it litterally looked like his truck took a poop on the road that's how dirty that spot was where his truck bounced. LOL

the girl in his truck almost crapped herself and my wife freaked out and thought he lost a tire or something. i just busted out laughing since i've seen death wobble in action before but not as bad as this time.
________
Lincoln C specifications

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
surftaco

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue with my 04 Sport I just lifted 2 inches. Do you think the stealership would be able to fix the issue?

Im pretty sure everything is tight underneath. Im still running stock 30s with the new suspension. could it be that the suspension is more rugged and not so forgiving??? I called pro comp and they said its the narrow tires and that to also get a steering stabilizer??

What do you guys think?

i am in no way mechanically inclined when it comes to steering components
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT PUT A STEERING STABILIZER ON UNTIL THE PROBLEM IS FIXED.

a steering stabilizer is not a cure-it-all. it's there to help "smooth" out the feedback from small impurities in the road, but will not fix death wobble. if you have a problem and a stabilizer makes it go away, then all you did was mask the problem.

a dealership should be able to fix the problem, but i guarantee you it will be expensive.

if you still have warranty on it, they might not cover the death wobble because you modified the suspension.
________
grape ape marijuana strain

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
surftaco

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio_vette wrote:
DO NOT PUT A STEERING STABILIZER ON UNTIL THE PROBLEM IS FIXED.

a steering stabilizer is not a cure-it-all. it's there to help "smooth" out the feedback from small impurities in the road, but will not fix death wobble. if you have a problem and a stabilizer makes it go away, then all you did was mask the problem.

a dealership should be able to fix the problem, but i guarantee you it will be expensive.

if you still have warranty on it, they might not cover the death wobble because you modified the suspension.

thanks for the quick response!

It really starts to wobble when im around 50-55 and hit the breaks. but once im around 40 its fine.

What would cause this?

The springs are the same size just more rugged. could it be the lift kit?

I bet the dealership deals with this stuff often
surftaco

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do i need a new track bar?
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no offense surftaco, but if you read this thread from the beginning, then you would know that there is no simple "will this fix it" answer.....there are several things that can cause this condition, and you'll just have to look at them all.

as for could it be the lift kit??? YES and NO......the new springs won't change that. but everytime you go higher, you change the suspension and steering geometry and put more stress on the components. so lets say you had a tie rod end that may have been slighly worn before, but not enough to cause trouble yet....now you increase the angle and load on that tie rod, and now it becomes a problem.

so........there is no easy way to tell you what's causing it. check out what i told vicejha, or take it to a shop and have them fix it.....
________
mflb vaporizer

surftaco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of shop should i take it to???
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as new as yours is, i might go to the dealership. otherwise any car shop that does alignments/steering/suspension.

those goodyear shops are usually ok. but just about any reputable car shop should be able to work on that.
________
silversurfer reviews

surftaco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio_vette wrote:
as new as yours is, i might go to the dealership. otherwise any car shop that does alignments/steering/suspension.

those goodyear shops are usually ok. but just about any reputable car shop should be able to work on that.

sweet! I just dropped her off at Firestone. To get the tires balanced and rotated. Im also getting them to inspect the steering components for me.
hopefully they will be able to tell me something. I'll keep you posted. bowdown
im just going to pray for now.
JLS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had steering issues with my 2K1 TJ lifted 4"

But not death wobble.... Mine had bump steer.
If you do not have a lift then I suggest getting an alignment and checking your tie rod ends...balancing won't hurt
JLS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, I noticed you said Firestone, They always try to rip people off, from my own personal experience...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: