Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep Cherokee 89 stalling, crank, no re-start, 30 min wait

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkelm94520

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Jeep Cherokee 89 stalling, crank, no re-start, 30 min wait Reply with quote

Hello,

Specs:

Jeep Cherokee 89, I6, 110K, 2WD

Problem:

I have been having stalling, and crank but no-restart problem with car. Originally where I think the problem may have begun, was when I was heading towards my parents house, about 1 hour away, on a leaking differential. When I finally got there I changed and overfilled the differential fluid, (I donít know why, weird paranoia, but I later found out it wasnít such a good idea). On my way back home, I was driving during daytime, it was hot, and the car began to jerk on freeway, as if transmission was shifting gears. Then it would suddenly die out on me, no serious jerks, as if a light switch just went off. I would have to wait afterwards at least 15-30 minutes before I could restart it. It would crank, but would not re-start. Iíve tried replicating the problem, while the car is idling, (did not die) it usually tends to stall on me when Iím driving.

Parts Changed:

I went ahead and changed the thermostat, crankshaft position sensor, had the oil flushed and changed, new radiator, new fuel filter, cleaned fuel system with commercial cleaner, cleaned throttle body, and idle motor, new oxygen sensor.

Iíve also tested the alternator, the battery. They work fine.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Tim K.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it happen at constant throttle or when changing throttle? If it's the latter then the TPS is a good bet.

Try disconnecting the vacuum lines from the EGR valve. If the stumbling stops then it's a bad EGR Solenoid.

It might also be the timing chain. Take the cap off (while you're at it, throw a new cap and rotor on) and turn the crank pulley both ways. The rotor should move immediately when you turn the pulley without any delay. If the crank rotates even a few degrees before the rotor does, the timing chain set needs to be replaced.

It might also be the camshaft postion sensor (which is also under the cap) and you'll also want to check the degree of rotational play in the distributor shaft. If it's excessive, the distributor drive gear is probably worn.

The last thing I can think of would be the fuel system. Check the pressure. I'm not sure what the rating is for the 89, but on the 97 it should be 49psi +/-5psi. If it's low or high, it's either the regulator or the pump itself.

Good luck.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: no start Reply with quote

I had a very similiar issue in a Grand Cherokee. It was the camshaft position sensor like ThePhantum mentioned. Test it like any repair manual will tell you. If I remember correctly you use a volt meter across 1 lead and the other to ground. One lead always has 5 volts the other should change as you crank the engine over by hand. Basically each rotation of the distributor. When mine finally quit in my driveway the meter showed around 3volts output no matter what. It was a $60 fix.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
tkelm94520

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: problem fixed (or not coming back yet) Reply with quote

well, i ended up swapping my crankshaft position sensor, and doing an engine oil flush. don't know what did it, but my car hasn't stalled yet. will make sure to post if it does!

thanks for help

tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: