Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New user Hi - and a little advice please :)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: New user Hi - and a little advice please :) Reply with quote

Hi all from New Zealand. Fab site. I've just about read every page, soaking up alot of info!

A few weeks ago I brought a 96 Sport to tow the boat, and a very nice wagon I must admit.

In the morning, some times afternoons, I get a Engine Check light on after about 1 - 2 minutes driving. I pulled the codes and got 12 and 21.

12 is battery removed, no problem because I just put a new one in last week.
21 is O2 sensor not moving from 14 something volts. So I assume it's the fault causing the Engine Check light. Not rocket science there.

Questions are if I don't change it soon, will it cause the engine to run rough or not at all. Right now it's ticking over sweet as. I can get a new aftermarket one for 1/2 price of a Jeep one. Would this dodgy sensor cause my horrid fuel consumption? Just gone from a FULL tank, running very gently. Just done 280KM and now on quarter left! I think I have about 70 KM's left on the tank, which brings me to about 350KM's a tank. Sound right or consumption is way out?

Cheers in advance!
Ricko70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Mate.....First of all, You gotta a BEAUTIFUL country (I was there in 1970 for a short port call on the way back from Viet Nam).
Yes your O2 sensor does affect mileage, but not a great deal I think.
It adjust the fuel/air ratio under various condition's, but when it's not working the computer goes to a default setting so the engine will run.
My 92 gets horrible mileage (12 around town). I've tried about all I can think to make it better to no end so far but I'll keep at it.
I've never heard of one disabling the engine, but I have heard of one damaging the cat.
Hope this helped some---Good Luck---Rick
Kiwi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Rick - yeah as you say, keep at it!

I'll most likely replace it soon. I'm a bit of a fussy chap and want that damn light to go out!

Very Happy
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it'll run, but it can cause the engine to run rich.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: