Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

31s on a bone stock Jeep

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> TJ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surftaco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: 31s on a bone stock Jeep Reply with quote

I know that 31s can fit on a bone stock Jeep. But how does it perform offroad? Is there a lot of rubbing on fenders while flexing?
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 31s on a bone stock Jeep Reply with quote

surftaco wrote:
I know that 31s can fit on a bone stock Jeep. But how does it perform offroad? Is there a lot of rubbing on fenders while flexing?

Not if you check and verify that your bumpstops are the correct length to prevent the tires from rubbing the fenders.
surftaco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: 31s on a bone stock Jeep Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
surftaco wrote:

Not if you check and verify that your bumpstops are the correct length to prevent the tires from rubbing the fenders.

how do you check that?
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnect swaybar. Flex the suspension. Check for rubbing.

If there's rubbing, extend the bumpstops.
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or just leave the swaybar connected until you get a lift and extended bumpstops.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio_vette wrote:
or just leave the swaybar connected until you get a lift and extended bumpstops.

How do you propose to wheel with the swaybar connected?
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same way i wheeled both my TJ and XJ for 3 years before disconnecting. you can still wheel fine, it's just simply more challenging and you have to learn to pick you lines better instead of relying on your flex to find footing.

while having flex is great, it can also make things easier by always making ground contact. with the swaybar hooked up, you loose the flex and now have to use more skill and thinking to get over the same obstacle.

i didn't disconnect until i got my jeep lifted. so for about 3 years i wheeled my 97TJ on 31's with the swaybars on. now i have both of my jeeps lifted and have front and rear disconnects on both my TJ and my XJ.

this last weekend my wife and me took both of the jeeps on a wheeling trip and i even left my XJ swaybar hooked up just to make it a little bit more challengine. it turned out to be a great weekend and i still cleared all the obstacles.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio_vette wrote:
the same way i wheeled both my TJ and XJ for 3 years before disconnecting. you can still wheel fine, it's just simply more challenging and you have to learn to pick you lines better instead of relying on your flex to find footing.

Let me guess....you don't air down either?
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on the conditions. i usually air down a little. but since my XJ is a little smaller and i need the height i don't go lower than 25psi for now. now on my big TJ i sometimes go down to 15psi depending on conditions.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fo shizzle

I should have put money on that bet. To surftaco and anyone else reading this, don't listen to this guy.
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
fo shizzle

I should have put money on that bet. To surftaco and anyone else reading this, don't listen to this guy.

well other than bashing me, how about you come up with a explenation as to why they shouldn't listen to me. i've wheeled my jeeps for years like this. you have to learn to wheel what you got, and learn how to adapt your driving and your equipment to the conditions around you.

if i can afford to loose some ground clearance, i air down enough to help me. like i said......it depends on the conditions.

now if you are telling people they can't run without disconnecting their swaybars and that they always have to air down otherwise they can't wheel right, then i say they shouldn't listen to you.

ALL conditions require different adaptations. a good driver with a small vehicle can do equal or more than a bad driver with a big vehicle.
tonloco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry ehirner i have to go with scorpio on this one i wheeled for a year after i got my jeep before decideing to disconnect. most of the folks i know did the same they stayed connected to see how there rig would react then relesed em. surftaco it will be first and foremost up to you weather or not to disconnect. if you do then wheeling will come a little easier but you WILL rub if you dont then it will take a few more tries on obstacles a few times hooked up to a strap.
NEWAYS just my .02
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really pretty simple. I can't believe I need to explain this.

Disconnecting keeps your tires on the ground. Tires on ground equals stability. Tires on ground equals traction. Without either, your offroad trip will be frustrating to say the least...with either a nice rollover or lots of attempts to complete a simple obstacle because you couldn't keep your tires on the ground.

Airing down increases contact patch and allows your tires to wrap around the obstacle you're crawling over...making it easier for them to grip the obstacles.

I'll acknowledge your argument that you need all the clearance you can get. However, this should not be done at the sacrifice of available traction. Exagerated example, but would you rather have bald 33s or brand new 31" MTs? I'd take the new 31s for more traction. All the clearance in the world doesn't help if you don't have enough traction to get moving in the first place.

These are some very simple basics of 4 wheeling. I've never disputed that a skilled driver in a small rig couldn't do better than a bad driver in a built rig. That skilled driver would know to disconnect and air down because those two simple tasks greatly increase his wheeling ability. He's using what he's got to the fullest extent.
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah all your points are right. i never argued that. what i'm saying is that it is completely possible to drive with the swaybar connected. like i said...you have to pick your lines more carefully.....and yes, it will also make it more challenging......

while i also agree that you need all the traction you can get, i still say that traction won't do you any good if you can't get up or over the obstacle because you bumper, frame or crossmember is catching.

so both options have their pros and cons. you just have to pick and choose which one is more important to you........personally my open diffs give me more problems than not airing down or leaving my swaybar connected.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio_vette wrote:
yeah all your points are right. i never argued that. what i'm saying is that it is completely possible to drive with the swaybar connected. like i said...you have to pick your lines more carefully.....and yes, it will also make it more challenging......

while i also agree that you need all the traction you can get, i still say that traction won't do you any good if you can't get up or over the obstacle because you bumper, frame or crossmember is catching.

so both options have their pros and cons. you just have to pick and choose which one is more important to you........personally my open diffs give me more problems than not airing down or leaving my swaybar connected.

So you're saying you need to pick the paved roads and not the offroad trails???
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: