Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

throttle body spacers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyerjib

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: throttle body spacers Reply with quote

Well I just spent the better part of my morning reading the never ending discussion on air filters and had this burning question about throttle body spacers (TBS). If all the hype about air filters is basically pointless and one is better off with the stock air filter... does a TBS do it's part to make up a little HP and MPG or is that all a bunch of hype too?
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers
Dana 44s front and rear w/ air lockers and hub conversion+much, much more... OlllllllO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO a TB spacer isnt gonna offer much bang for the buck. Ive seen the manufactures claims, data sheets, and dyno slips and Im still not convinced that a TB spacer is worth installing.

Back in the day Carb spacers did work and the TB spacer makers are trying to use that old school hype to keep these things selling. IF you read any data they all show claims of "X" extra HP and Torque look closely at the RPM range where the extra HP and Torque is produced....At 5000rpm

5000 RPM ???

Do you run your Jeep engine at 5000 RPM? Does anybody? I dont think so. The sweet spot is between 1800 and 2800 rpm....3000 rpm tops.

So look at the data sheets at that 1800 to 2800/3000 rpm range....no increase! No increase then why bother.....its the same for the open style breathers....the same so called performance rpm range apply to the expensive open breather manufactures also.

Now that said....this only applies to Jeeps that were never intended to run in those higher rpm ranges...V6's and V8's do run in the 3500+ rpm range so they can take advantage of open flow intakes etc.

Another proven concideration would be a larger or Bored TB. Those are reasonable and do flow more air and increase power.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
flyerjib

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another proven concideration would be a larger or Bored TB. Those are reasonable and do flow more air and increase power.[/quote]

I have seen the 62mm throttle body from Rubicon Express but it's around $300... not worth it in my book. I have heard (and I am trying) the whole idea of getting rid of the manual fan and installing an electric one. Supposedly gains of around 5HP and 12 ft/lbs torque?!? Check it out http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/jeep-wrangler.html

I'll be sure to let ya know!
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers
Dana 44s front and rear w/ air lockers and hub conversion+much, much more... OlllllllO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with WhatWasIThinkin, TB spacers do work at a higher RPM witch is no good for the I6 witch acts more like a diesel as far as RPM range.

I would like to get the same electric fan setup that you listed, it looks as though it's a direct replacement with it's own shroud.
I'd set it up with an adj. thermostat and have a inline switch that's wired for "auto" or "on".
The fan might not work to increase torque, but it will help with MPG and a little on the HP, but not by much.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
flyerjib

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be getting my fan in today so I will be sure to let you guys know how it works out. The only thing I am worried about right now is the space. I upgraded to a three row radiator which is about 1/4" fatter than the stock POS. Unfortunately I'll have to grind off the bolts on the stock fan pulley flush with the nuts after I reinstall them. That will only give me 1/8" clearance between the new electric fan and four spinning bolts?! Should be fun!
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers
el_dubya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the ford fan conversion on my 98 with a 2.5L. Sadly not a lot of difference. The biggest thing I noticed was how much quieter it is. I kind of like not hearing the roar of the fan all the time. As far as power, maybe just a little bit peppier off the line, maybe. And mileage... gained MAYBE 1/2 a MPG. So, If I knew this before hand, I probably wouldn't do it, but it's been done so I'm not gonna change it back. Let us know how yours turns out though.

'98 TJ SE
15x7 ProComp Series 51 Rock Crawler Wheels
31x10.50 General Grabber AT2's
Taurus Fan
Uniden PC68 Elite CB
canuck4welr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the fact you can turn it on/off and high speed
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the electric fan on my old Toyota truck and on my 70 Nova, both were and still are cooled by the same fans for 12 and 17 years with no problems. Mechanically speacking, electric fans are just an all around more efficient way of cooling your engine.

Use caution when wiring these fans, they do pull some serious amps when they start up, and when you drive at night with the head lights on and the fan kicks on you might notice your lights dim a little for a second.
Make sure that your alternator is strong enough, Also if you need to lengthen your wire to your source, make sure that you use the same size wire or larger, NEVER SMALLER.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: