Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing seal on NP231 rear output shaft?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Removing seal on NP231 rear output shaft? Reply with quote

How do I remove the seal on the rear output shaft of a NP231 (red arrow pointing to it)?

All the instructions I've found online for installing an SYE on an NP231 does not specify how to remove this beyond a sentence or two that basically says "remove the seal to expose the lock ring and bearings." Help. I thought I had everything needed. I guess I was wrong.

-Trevor
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are installing a SYE, that piece is no longer needed and you'll need to destroy it to get it off. I've used a two jaw puller and got down to business on it.

If you're doing something that requires you to get it off nicely so you can reuse it, I don't know what to suggest.
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have one of those tools. I'll have to use a mallet and screwdriver. I'm just needing to remove the cap right? And yes I am installing a SYE. I just wanted to get the best method of removing it.

Thanks,

Trevor
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What E said. I used a two jaw puller to get the seal off. I can lend you one of mine if you want. All ya gotta do is run up here and get it.

Lemme know.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an Autozone near you, go borrow the puller you need. It will likely be more difficult with the screwdriver because it will be hard to get a good angle on it to drive the piece off.

The other option is a cut off wheel on an angle grinder of dremel if you have a full replacement HD SYE with a new output shaft. Just cut it off...don't worry about the stock output shaft if you nick it or anything...it isn't reused.
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's alright. Once you said I didn't need those bits, I removed them in less than 5 minutes with a screw driver and a mallet. I didn't realize they were that ease to remove.

Now I get to assemble it tonight. Mr. Green

-Trevor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: