Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a CJ5- any years to avoid?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
r1069

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Looking for a CJ5- any years to avoid? Reply with quote

Greatings All!
I had a 1974 CJ5 that was passed down from my father. It had a 304 and all the heavy duty component parts associated with a V-8. I off-roaded a lot, but never abused it. I had to fix the frame once for cracks about 16 years ago, and then about a year ago the frame literally cracked in two. Being realistic, I knew I didn't have the time or room to change into a new frame. I gave it to an uncle who welded the frame and uses it on his ranch.

I'm in the market for a jeep and I'd like to get another CJ5. I'd like to use it for hunting and also taking my three little kids on family safe trails.

I'm a little cautious about getting a 1975 and older just because of the frames. I'm thinking 1976 and newer for the boxed frame.

My question; are there any years I should avoid between 1976 and 1983? And when I ask this, I'm referring to any years that had significant problems or weak powertrain compenents.

Thanks for advance for any help you can offer.

Mike
Sfisher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think '77 was first year of front disc brakes so that might be something to consider. I believe '82 was first year of wide track axles for the CJ7 so I would assume the same for CJ5.
dsl4me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you located?
Recently bought a CJ7 and will be selling our CJ5.
Excellent woods Jeep, has a full roll cage for front and rear seats.
V8, stick, power steering, front disc brakes etc. Does need some work, not perfect but not junk either. It is a '79 model but has the early T15 transmission swapped in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: