Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

which end to lock????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattyj074

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: which end to lock???? Reply with quote

i am going to install a power trax no slip locker to my 98 XJ. But have had mixed reports & opinions from different people on which end to fit first. I would like to do front & rear eventually but for now its just going to be one...... So would it be more beneficial to have it in the front or rear for wheeling??
97XJ Jeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would do the rear first, that will make a big difference in off road
2 1/2" pipe cat back
Videos my XJ
http://youtube.com/profile?user=JeepXJJeeper
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general rule of thumb is to lock the rear before the front. I went the other way around...but I had mechanical reasons for that. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what exactly were your "mechanical reasons" for locking the front first? just curious.

if your putting in an automatic locker on a daily driver, its a good idea to put it in the rear and have a selectable in the front (Ox, or ARB). you dont really wanna deal with steering issues upfront. and it would be nice to be able to lock it only when you need it. A locker up front really only ever wants to drive straight, you turn the wheels and it acts as if you did nothing most of the time. In short you'll be much happier with an automatic in the rear and selectability up front.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going with the powertrax in the first place was and still is a temporary solution until I do full regear.

The reason I choose the front is that I didn't (and still don't) trust the bearings in the rear axle...both at the pinion and in the carrier itself. Locking puts a lot of extra stresses on them. When I put the axle in two and a half years ago, it had an unknown amount of miles on it. It was the right ratio to match the front and I choose to do a rear disc conversion and put in alloy shafts as prep for regear...so I didn't touch the internals. When I put the powertrax in last year, I knew the entire history and condition of the front axle so I choose to go that route.

When I put the new lift under it this past winter, I ran out of money before I regeared. So I'm putting together the scratch now to rebuild and regear both axles this winter with 4.56's and Ox's. Then the Powertrax will go in the TJ, which already has a Lockright in the rear.

There is a method to my madness. Wink

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what axle do you have in the rear? Is it the 8.25? I have the 8.25 29 spline for my rear axle and i was under the impression that these were good axles. Are they're things i need to be aware of? Do the pinion bearings wear out pretty easy?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my 8.25 axle with a D44 from an 87.

Quote:
JtotheEEPxj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STAY AWAY from the powertax No Slip, bad idea. they break very easily with any type of heavy offroad use. When i returned mn, they had heard of several other people having thesame problem.
-1993 XJ, 4.0, 5 spd, 4.5" lift, 32's, Warn bumper, JKS link kit, skid plates, D30 & 8.25 w/ 4:56's & Detroit locker
-1965 Ranchero, new paint & interior, 302, C4, torque thrust II whls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: