Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disable tranny clutch switch for starting in gear.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JokerLS240

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Disable tranny clutch switch for starting in gear. Reply with quote

First off, some people may wonder why you would want to start your TJ while it's in gear. I'm not a seasoned off-roader, but I've read that this is the best way to start a stalled engine when you're on a incline. That way you don't risk wheel spin after starting the engine and engaging the clutch on any grade.

I got to searching on the 'net and found that there is a way to disable the clutch disengagement switch in TJs. The only response that I found was to look in your owner's manual, which describes where to move the switch harness plug. After reading my '02 manual, I found out that it is simply done my inserting a spare 20A fuse from #18 into #20 on the fuse block behind the glove box. Being a control-freak, I don't want to have to remove the glove box just to enable this feature.

What I did was went out to AutoZone and bought a switch with the misslie-style cover. It's on On-Off only switch, so I ran some wires to the fuse block from the switch. If you can find a fuse tap to fit the mini fuses of the TJ, that would be the best way to plug into #20. Make sure you place a 20-amp fuse somewhere between the switch and the fuse box to avoid any damage from a short circuit.

I mounted the switch on the console just in front of the transfer case shift lever. Now whenever I need to start from a stall on an incline, I flip the red cover up, then flip the switch. I tested this in 1st gear and 4-lo on level ground and the engine started right up and the Jeep started moving! When I want to return to normal operation, I just close the switch cover, which turns the switch off.

This same idea works for the fuse that disables the dome light for when you have the doors off. Always make sure you put the same rated fuse inline of the switch. On my TJ, I used a mini switch that is mounted on the passenger side of the console, towards the front.
JLS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

write up/pics of the start in gear mod?
JokerLS240

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLS wrote:
write up/pics of the start in gear mod?

Soon to come. I just finished it before lunch and haven't had time to get my digi cam out. There are no pics of the progress, but I can post some that should give a general idea.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer and recommend to reverse back to the bottom of the incline then start again.
JokerLS240

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any other ideas as to why this would be neccessary? Chrysler made it an option for some reason.

The article about starting in gear that I read was written by a guy that serves as a guide for trail rides on the Rubicon. Maybe he just meant that for carburated rigs that need to have the gas pumped while starting.

I also remember about 10 years ago that Toyota put such a switch in their 4wd Tacomas.
BigAzTJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: No Fuse Since 1998 Reply with quote

I pulled my Fuse for the clutch override in 1998. I park my jeep in neutral "obviously". I like being able to start w/o depressing the clutch. I think the switch idea is a little overkill. I mean just pull it out. It doesnt make a dif.
Finger
JokerLS240

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. I'm lazy tho. For the 2002 TJ, you have to take the glove box out and put a fuse in. Then take the fuse out to go back to stock. I'm an electrical fanatic and anything I can do with wires and my Jeep, I'm gonna do it! Mr. Green
JokerLS240

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not much of a technical writer, but I did post some pics on CarDomain. Just flip through the pages here.
JokerLS240

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: No Fuse Since 1998 Reply with quote

BigAzTJ wrote:
I pulled my Fuse for the clutch override in 1998. I park my jeep in neutral "obviously". I like being able to start w/o depressing the clutch. I think the switch idea is a little overkill. I mean just pull it out. It doesnt make a dif.
Finger

Riddle me this: why is it "obvious" to park in neutral? Risking the chance of the vehicle rolling away or even worse, being easily towed by a theif? The e-brake isn't always going to save you. I prefer parking in 1st or reverse depending on where it's parked. I do believe that most driving schools in the US recommends parking a manual in gear w/ the e-brake set. Maybe it's different north of the border.

When I was in the ambulance service, we had automatics, but would always set the parking brake. As a volunteer firefighter, our manual tranny trucks were parked in gear and parking brake set.

flipoff agree Right back at ya!
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: No Fuse Since 1998 Reply with quote

JokerLS240 wrote:
BigAzTJ wrote:
Finger

Riddle me this: why is it "obvious" to park in neutral? Risking the chance of the vehicle rolling away or even worse, being easily towed by a theif? The e-brake isn't always going to save you. I prefer parking in 1st or reverse depending on where it's parked. I do believe that most driving schools in the US recommends parking a manual in gear w/ the e-brake set. Maybe it's different north of the border.

When I was in the ambulance service, we had automatics, but would always set the parking brake. As a volunteer firefighter, our manual tranny trucks were parked in gear and parking brake set.

flipoff agree Right back at ya!

If you disable the clutch override and leave the vehicle in gear when parked...guess what happens when you turn over the engine??? The vehicle moves. If you don't want to use the clutch, you need to make sure the vehicle is not in gear when starting the vehicle.
JokerLS240

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me and having driven only manual vehicles over the past 10 years, but it should be second nature to press the clutch in before you start the engine. Even when I drive someone else's auto, I find myself kicking for the clutch.

Anywho, the attitudes and egos on this forum are aweful. Message boards should be friendly discussion, rather than flaming someone for their own opinion. *See the swaybar disco thread, if you don't know what I'm talking about.* Too many god complexes on here. Consider my account deleted.
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JokerLS240 wrote:
Maybe it's just me and having driven only manual vehicles over the past 10 years, but it should be second nature to press the clutch in before you start the engine. Even when I drive someone else's auto, I find myself kicking for the clutch.

It should be, which is why having a clutch override is a good idea to prevent someone from engaging the starter while the vehicle is in gear.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JokerLS240 wrote:
Anywho, the attitudes and egos on this forum are aweful. Message boards should be friendly discussion, rather than flaming someone for their own opinion. *See the swaybar disco thread, if you don't know what I'm talking about.* Too many god complexes on here. Consider my account deleted.

There's a difference between peoples opinions and facts that are tried, true and tested. Opinions should not be mistaken for facts and vice versa. If you don't like being told your opinion is wrong due to a fact or facts...you can deal with it and move on, as an adult would, or run away like a child.

You've made your choice.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaming? Somebody want to point out the flaming the noob took because I can't seem to find it. Bunch of fragile egos. Rolling Eyes
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker...try these forums next time. They are much more user friendly.
forum #1
forum #2
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: