Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie with questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikasdad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Newbie with questions Reply with quote

Hi, just bought a 2001 tj Sahara. I have had several jeeps in the past (81 cj7, 79 cj5, 93 and 95yj's) but this is my first TJ. Are there any "common porblems" that I should know about. My jeep has the trusty "ol 4.0 that we all love and a dana 44 in the rear so I think I am good to go. The jeep is all stock, has 50k miles on it and was owned by an older lady. Thanks....
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to worry about too much with your rig. One of the few common issues is with TJ's that were topless alot so that the interior was exposed to the elements and dirt. Mainly electrical corrosion or loss of good contact on the wire harness fittings behind the dash. You end up getting odd flashing from the dash lights and/ or the airbag light would go on and off. Other probroms from this is the total loss of power across the dash.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
mikasdad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hey man, thanks for the tip. I am sure my jeep will stay topless alot. Is there anything I can do to prevent this problem? I may be wrong but don't they make some kind of electrical grease type stuff that you can put around the harness conections that repells water?
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exhaust manifolds have been known to crack also. Know it was a problem on early models, not sure exactly what year it stopped being an issue (if it did stop that is). I had a '00 4.0l with 80xxx miles on it, no manifold issues with mine though.

Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is the water leaking into the cab in front of the passenger seat. Never bugged me enough to look into a fix for it, though it's been discussed several times.
mikasdad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, I had a cracked manifold on the 93 yj that I used to drive. The water that was leaking in your jeep, was it rain water or was it something from the heater core?
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiator cracks because its metal and plastic. Mine died about 5 or 6months ago.
mygreenjeep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exhaust manifold cracking was fixed in 98 or 99. Every 97 that I've came across has had a cracked manifold.

As far as the 2001, I don't know of any major problems. I have a 2000 with a bunch of goodies and I've beaten the snot out of it and it's holding up fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: