Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Year-long TJ owner, new to forum.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Year-long TJ owner, new to forum. Reply with quote

Hey guys and girls! I'm Jeremy. I'm currently located in Tullahoma, TN, which is very lacking for some good trails. Since I was 14 (I'm 25 now), I've been a Ford fan. I've had 2 70s model F100s. 2 Bronco IIs, a 95 Mustang, a 94 F150 lifted 4" on 35s, a 92 Ranger, and an '02 Focus. Around April of 2005 I got tired of the Focus and was looking for a truck or SUV. I was looking at crewcab F150s, Xterras, Rodeos, Explorers, etc. I wanted something with power windows, locks, a sunroof... the whole shebang.

Something, I don't know what, told me to start looking at Jeep Wranglers. I've always known that Jeeps are the ultimate off-road vehicle and that the aftermarket for them was extremely vast. I searched the net for any 4.0, 5-speed Wrangler. I finally came across a 2002 TJ Sport with 42k miles (same as the Fucus it replaced) at CarMax in Nashville. I went out there, just wanting to test drive it and get a sense of what was to come. By the end of the day, I was driving the Jeep home. The major selling points were that it had both hard and soft tops, a factory soundbar, and the lovely 15x7.5 deep, aluminum 5-spoke wheels. The body is maroon (don't know the OEM color name) with spice/tan interior and tops. The soft top came with tinted windows, which was definately a plus. CarMax had also put brand new 30x9.50 Kumho ATs on it.

Since I bought the Jeep over a year ago, it has seen some pretty tough trails. One even conquered it and required that a wrecker winch me out. I did get some body damage out of that endeavor that would make most "new" car owners cry. I just shrugged my shoulders and said, "Well, it's a Jeep!"

Now I've got my dad's old Warn M8274 mounted on the front, with the control pack mounted under the hood, and a switch next to the cigarette lighter for winching while behind the wheel. 4wd Hardware is sending me 4 ProComp soft 8 wheels and a local tire store is going to mount Mastercraft Courser MT 32x11.50s on them. Then I'll be lifting the TJ 2" with ProComp's 2" coil and shock kit. I am a ham radio operator and have a mobile radio mounted on the driver's side of the console, next to the t-case shifter. The antenna is mounted parallel to the 3rd brake light on a chopped up piece of steel farm fence post.

Future plans include removing the carpet and coating the tub with LineX or a DIY bedliner, installing the Tuffy dual overhead console for my Ham and CB radios (CB isn't installed at the moment), 3.73 gears and lockers in the axles, Poison Spyder tube fenders and rear corner armor, and many more items on my wish list.

I'm looking forward to my new ground clearance and traction. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it out to the trail ride at Coal Creek with you guys and get a true feel of what a Jeep can do.

I may bleed Ford Blue, but my skin is turning OD Green! Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention a few other mods:

-Flowmaster 40-series and 2.25" pipe going out at a 45-degree on the passenger side.

-LED MagLite (2 D-cell) flashlight mounted to sport bar. Great lights for about $30 at WallyWorld!

-Barefoot gas pedal!

-5.25" Pioneer 2-way speakers in dash and soundbar. Dash adapter plates by 33 Engineering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Intro and Testing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: