Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unlimited Soft Top Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lowrider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Unlimited Soft Top Question Reply with quote

I recently put the soft top on my Dual-Top '06 Unlimited for the first time. Kind of a pain in the ass the first time around. pissed

Question:

The first bow back from the header (the "1-bow?") is attached to the "Sunrider" linkage and also has a little "U"-shaped plastic piece on each end where it sits on top of the larger diameter frame tubing. On my top I can't get this bow to sit on each side of the frame. It's as if the bow is a half-inch too short. The little "U"-shaped plastic ends will either sit on one side of the top-frame or the other but won't sit on both. It won't reach. Consequently one side of my top, at the point of this bow, sits higher than the other side. And the side that's NOT sitting up on the frame bounces up and down in the wind. I'm afraid it's going to wear a hole in the top fabric.

Anyone else seen something like this?

Thanks.

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
Valkaru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Soft Top Bow Reply with quote

Lowrider:
Try unhooking the windshield latches (don't have to fully disconnect) and the rear wings at the back corners. Make sure the side raingutter piecs are also disconnected and you should be able to get the bow to mount up on both rails. My wife has had her Unlimited almost 2 years now, and the bow has been a challenge a couple of times, but making sure the bow is in place first makes everything else fit. Easiest install has been to leave the rear quarter wings as the last to connect before final latching the windshield header.
We had to buy the top separate and have the dealer install, but are glad to have both tops.
Speed Safely! David
dsgodda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that same problem on my '05 dual-topped Unlimited Rubicon. Mine must be a little larger/looser than yours because I can put the u-shaped bracket over one side of the frame, then come around to the other side and while gently pushing the frame in and pulling the bow out, get the second u-shaped bracket to sit on top of the frame. I do this as the last step, after everything else is latched/zipped/etc. because once both legs of the bow are in place, the pressure/tension from the top keeps the bow on the frame rails.

Dave
Lowrider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, guys. I'll take it loose and fiddle with it today.

I sincerely appreciate the input. thanks

When first putting up the top I must've pulled that bow one way and then the other a dozen times. I'd get it sitting on one side, go around to the other side, and as soon as I'd pull it towards me it'd pop off the first side. Pretty frustrating. pissed

I can see several ways the top assy. could've been better engineered. It's pretty cheesy, in my humble & uneducated & unwashed opinion. Mr. Green

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: