Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1993 Jeep Grand Chrokee Laredo I6 Rough Idle/Sputtering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shane4188

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: 1993 Jeep Grand Chrokee Laredo I6 Rough Idle/Sputtering Reply with quote

I have a 93 JGC I6 that has 150,000 miles. The jeep recently has began to sputter on occasion. If I start the engine cold with the AC on it will nearly die. And If I start it with the AC and put it in gear cold it will almost certainly die if I do not gas it right away. If you let it warm up for a few minutes without any load it will do ok, but still not idle perfectly. I was pulling in my driveway today also and just as I hit the hill it shuttered real bad, but it soon went to running reasonably. The engine was warm at this point. I have researched it and am thinking TPS? Is this a decent idea to try to change the TPS? I have no idea when it was changed if ever. I also do a lot of stop and go driving, I know its a bad driving style, but sometimes when I start it the engine will start quickly, and sometimes slowly (more cranking time). I tried Mid grade gas recently and I started it one time and it just took off idling at over 1,000 rpm. I switched on the AC real quick to put a load on it while it was speeding and that slowed it down quickly. I got it in it today and started it and it chugged and sputtered at about 300-400 rpm, then I gassed it real good and it settled back in at close to 500. The only thing I have tried so far is that I took off the air intake and sprayed intake cleaner into the intake and brushed the intake with a toothbrush. It was quite dirty, but is clean now and still runs rough. It is hard to put a real good conclusion on the times when it idles rough, it seems to do this very spuratically. At higher rpms it runs excellent with good power, for a 6 cylinder Wink

Any help much appreciated, also is there any part that is cheaper on a different truck, like i noticed for the v8 5.9 there was a TPS dodge part that was only $20.00. Thanks,

Shane
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with the TPS... and if that doesnt work (keep the old one as a spare)then change the Idle air control..

But its most likely the TPS..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: