Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with the choice of new suspension !

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raedcaya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Help with the choice of new suspension ! Reply with quote

Hello, I have a wrangler 05 soft top 6 cyl manual transmision, that I am planning to lift the next month. After taking a look over all the suspensions system in the market, I decided between two of them. Rancho and OME. I have used both systems in the past with different cars... ( rancho with ford bronco & OME with toyota Landcrusier ) but I would like to hear some feedbacks about with one could be the best choice for the Jeep. I am planning to put 33" tires in the stock alumnium rims (15") , that Rancho could fit perfectly... instead OME just recomend 32" unless I use a 1' body lift ( Daystar or Tera ). Rancho have three times more components (pitman, bars) and is twice expensive.

Hope to hear some help.

Thanks,

Rafael.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OME will be the most recommended setup. You don't need a pitman arm at that height. You probably don't need the BL for 33s on the OME either, but it wouldn't hurt.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands down, I would go with OME....wait...actually I did. Wink

I put an 2.5" OME under my wifes TJ a few years ago. She currently has 33's under it with no rubbing or other problems offroad. In my opinion (and a lot of others as well) it rides better than stock and wheels like a demon. I would go with OME again in a heartbeat.

FYI - OME does make 4" springs now for TJ's...they will clear 33's with room to spare. Mr. Green

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
FYI - OME does make 4" springs now for TJ's...they will clear 33's with room to spare. Mr. Green

33s....OME 4" coils will clear 35s.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OME all the way.

Been there done that with Rancho. Great componenets, but the harshest ride in the industry thanks to poor shock damping calibrations.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
JLS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful with the stock wheels and 33's you will want to take note of your backspacing and make sure that you have enough clearance.

33x12.5 will be more of a problem than 33.10.5 but I am not sure if the 10.5's rub or not...anyone else know?
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLS wrote:
be careful with the stock wheels and 33's you will want to take note of your backspacing and make sure that you have enough clearance.

33x12.5 will be more of a problem than 33.10.5 but I am not sure if the 10.5's rub or not...anyone else know?

Thd 10.5s will rub a little bit on the control arms but it's nothing you can't deal with by adding a washer or two under the steering stops...and it's nothing like the rubbing you'd have with the 12.5s on stock wheels.

If you want to run 12.5s, aftermarket wheels with around 4" of backspacing, or 1.25" wheel spacers with your stock wheels will be needed.
greenbean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Lift questions Reply with quote

What are you looking to spend? That really determines what setup you are going to run, wheels/tires, etc. I agree with all these guys that the OME is a great setup regardless of spring height you select. The shocks you choose are almost as important as the lift itself. I have a RE 4.5 superflex system which I got for a steal new back before they jacked up the prices. I am running AEV argent wheels with goodyear mt/r 315 75 r16. But that size I wouldn't recommend for stock dana 35 axles, you may get away with it for a while, but you will more than likely breal an axle. I converted to a ford 8.8 so no drama for me it's a pretty cheap swap. Also with 33's and up you may need to look at regearing your rear ends. If you are just getting started then the OME kit is a great starting point!

Will
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the OME site and found the "Trail Blazer 4in kit" for $600, sounds like a good deal.
But I just did a quick scan and there thing seems to be spring kits and shocks, no arms. My guess is you still need to run a SYE with a 4" lift, otherwise you'd get bad vibes, and wouldn't lifting that much cause the wheelbase to shorten a little?

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
I just looked at the OME site and found the "Trail Blazer 4in kit" for $600, sounds like a good deal.
But I just did a quick scan and there thing seems to be spring kits and shocks, no arms. My guess is you still need to run a SYE with a 4" lift, otherwise you'd get bad vibes, and wouldn't lifting that much cause the wheelbase to shorten a little?

The OME 4" coils do not share the same nice, comfy ride with the 2.5" coils. In addition, once you hit 4", there is a lot of other stuff that needs to be taken care of, such as adjustable control arms, adjustable trackbars, swaybar links, SYE/double cardan shaft. So while $600 for the "lift" looks like a deal...it will quickly turn into $1500, if not more.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read it more of it and it does come with front and rear track bars, springs, shocks and a T-case lowering stuff, but no arms.
I personly would go with th 2" B.B. kit, just the Springs and shocks.
I don't do crawling, this is my daily driver and on ocation I'll do some trails in my "backyard" and sometimes pull some idiot out of the snow. bowdown

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
raedcaya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Thanks !!! but I have another question about suspension !!!! Reply with quote

First at all, thanks very much for all your responses.. seems to me that I have to go with 2.5" OME, but my concern is about the tire size. I spoke with the OME tech and they told me to go just to 32" or I have to regear my car. They don;t recomend to put 33" even with the BL 1". and if was the case, I have to regear anyway. At the same time I called Rancho tech and they explain to me about all the extra parts, that include new bars, new brake lines, pitman etc, but they told me that I do not need to regear my car and I can go with 33"without anymore to do. Since I really believe that you know a lot more, just because you actually used and tested those systems, I want to know your opinion regarding that matter. Should I go with Rancho and 33" and don;t do anything more in my car or with OME and 32" and leave it like that? Knowing that OME shocks are superior.. or maybe I can go with Rancho system and put LTR OME shocks ?

Thanks again...

Rafael
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OME, 1" BL and 33s.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OME is nice. If you dont get their lift get their shocks. Mr. Green

All I can say for the love of all that is holly and Jeep like. DO NOT buy Teraflex suspension components. Ive had nothing, but issues with their bushings. I simply can not wait to remove them.

Sure some will say, but Ive never had a problem. Well pray and I do mean pray hard. When you pray make sure your praying for longer life because they will fail you.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks !!! but I have another question about suspension Reply with quote

raedcaya wrote:
At the same time I called Rancho tech and they explain to me about all the extra parts, that include new bars, new brake lines, pitman etc, but they told me that I do not need to regear my car and I can go with 33"without anymore to do.

The underlined part really jumped out for me. Technically you can fit 33's on a bonestock TJ. Rancho, OME, stock, or jamming cinderblocks between the body and the frame... really has no factor in the need to regear. I'd say you're probablly gonna want to regear regardless with the 33's. There's gonna be the perceived lack of power when you put the larger diameter tires on. Regardless of whether you have 3.73's or 3.07's in there now, it's gonna get real old real fast. I'd factor that into the budget too.

As far as the extra parts go, if you use the pitman arm at heights generally less than 4" it will actually cause bumpsteer rather than correcting any problems (that won't exist unless you install it Wink ). The sway bar links won't be necessary at that height either, especially since you'll just be tossing the fronts out to get a set of good front disconnects anyway (JKS are mighty fine btw). Extended brake lines, again ditto, not needed at that height. I'd say (just like everyone else has already) go with the OME and a 1" body lift. Proven and tested to work and provide a pretty good ride for a short wheelbased vehicle. I'm just not a big fan of Rancho to begin with, they seem to be great if you wanna build a monster truck to add triple shocks and chrome the windshield for the cover of FourWheeler or something Mr. Green .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: