Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! My XJ Won't Start!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xjmoneypit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Help! My XJ Won't Start!! Reply with quote

Hey Guys

I have a '94 XJ with a 4.0 in it. I drove it home from work on Friday, parked it, and didn't touch it until Saturday night. When I went to crank it... The engine wouldn't catch. The motor would turn over, but it didn't sound like it was getting any spark.

I have a new distributor cap, rotor button, plugs, cables, and starter. I was doing some reading and I know Cherokees are notorious for their Crank Position Sensor going out. The problem is, that I haven't had any problems getting it started or seen any signs that it would be going out. Do these things just go out? Is this really the problem?

I planned on purchasing a new CPS but I couldn't figure out how to get the old one off. A ratchet won't fit from the bottom and it's too short to reach from the top. It's real frustrating when the only thing holding you back from complete satisfaction is 2 bolts and a poor approach angle. Any ideas?

Please help. This is my daily driver and I'm stuck as of right now.

Thanks Team.

-XJmoneyPit
longfellow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hows your battery? just a thought
majikxms

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest the battery as well. My 98 XJ had the same symptons about 2 months ago. All it needed was a new battery and it cranked right up, no problems since then.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: won't start Reply with quote

Yes the CPS and the one under the distributor cap (forget the name) will just stop working. You're better off, mine was intermittent. They are electronic so they either die, or work now and then depending on temperature. Get a repair manual and test both as stated with a volt meter. The one under the dist cap is around $60 and the other is more so it's worth testing before changing.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Wont Start Reply with quote

Yes the CPS can be your problem. The CPS cant locate number one cylinder so it wont let it start My 1988 has two 11 mm bolts to remove.
I use about 3 foot of 1/4 drive extensions and a flex joint to remove.
I have found that by hanging the plug in from the top of the engine I dont have to fish it up to the plug in at the back of the engine. Battery is not a bad thing to check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: