Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoke from steering column

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Smoke from steering column Reply with quote

Okay went to start the Jeep the other day (2000 TJ) acted as if battery was shorted, (which it was), but when I rotated the key to start it and it did not start, and small stream of smoke emerged from the steering column area, then a burnt plastic smell came. I took the column apart to investigate and found the module for the turn signal, and dimmer switch hot, however the ignition switch module was under it, maybe it was hot and the heat transferred the the other unit, at the time I had not checked the ignition switch. I replaced the battery and reconnected everything the Jeep starts fine and everything seems okay, but I wonder what shorted and caused the smoke, WOuld it be a wise investment to go ahead and replace the ignition switch???? or continue on as is?? has anyone had the same issue
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: