Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

88 Cherokee Laredo Advice Wanted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tekguy4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: 88 Cherokee Laredo Advice Wanted Reply with quote

Hello Everyone, just bought my first XJ, a 88 Cherokee Laredo that I found locally on ebay. Bought off a mechanic who was selling it out of spite from his soon to be ex. The truck body has around 200K but the Engine, Transmission, Transfer Case and rear end where swappped in from a wrecked 89 Commanche (along with the gauge cluster) and all that has 98K original miles. Anyways truck seems to run strong and shifts good, 4 wheel drive seems fine.

This is my first Jeep and I want to go through it front to back. Somethigns are obvious like it needs a valve cover gasket. Can anyone give me some feedback on things I need to check out. IS there any truth that the early 4.0 had oil pump failure issues?

Although the drivetrain runs and drive pretty damn good, the sterring is loose, the rear appears to droop a little, and the shooks are NG.

Sounds like an excuse to lift it a little, where can I get an inexpensive kit to rebuild the suspension and at same time do a 2-3 inch lift?

ANy info on things to check out would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Tekguy Twisted Evil
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: I have an plain 87 XJ Reply with quote

I have an 87 XJ Cherokee. Mine also has a leaking valve cover gasket, and a slight head gasket leak. Also the stearing is loose and the guy that I bought it from said that it was always that way. And the rear end droops also. I planed on getting new shocks. I was going to lift it but decided not too since I'm going to sell my PT Cruiser when its payed off in 07' then I will trade it in on another Jeep.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 Cherokee Laredo Advice Wanted Reply with quote

tekguy4 wrote:
Is there any truth that the early 4.0 had oil pump failure issues?

Hmm....never heard it before, but a buddy just had a problem with his 88 losing oil pressure. It would probably be okay and we could have fixed it except he decided to keep driving at highway speeds.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard that about the oil pumps either. The 4.0's are known for rear main seal leaks though....not hard to fix, just more of a PITA.

Based on the mileage of the truck, it's not surprising that the steering is loose. Check the ball joints, the tie rod ends, where the drag link meets the ptiman arm and the where tie rod meets the drag link. One (or all) of those is most likely the cause.

As far as the sagging rear, XJ's came with very soft leaf springs. They make for a nice onroad ride, but they sag over time. If you are looking for an inexpensive 2-3" lift, there are lots of options. One of the cheapest would be S10 springs in the rear along with a set of V8 ZJ coils and 2" spacers in the front. That will net you around 3". Do a search in this forum on S10 springs...you'll get lots of hits.

Of course you could always go OME...but that's probably the most expensive option. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tekguy4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, got some time to look it over and put like 35 miles on it.
CAme up with following list of stuff:

Tailgate wont open? Lock seems non-functional. ALso doors need to be rekeyed.

Power windows and locks all work but are all a little slow. Guessing need to take off door panels then clean all electrical connectors and windows tracks and stuff then lube everything.

Brakes get a little mushy after a little while of driving. No grinding no pulsataions. Probably should plan on replacing all lines and then looking at master cylinder.

Noticed truck started to heat up a little while sitting idling for 15 minutes, was running around 190 when driving then went ovwer 200 while sitting (on a 35 degree day) THis normal? Thinking I should flush system and put in 3 core all metal radiator and new thermostat.

Suspension sags in rear (alot) and seems very loose in rear, front not nearly as loose, alll shocks seem shot.
SO to correct I am thinking of getting a complete busing kit (polyurethane) and then using S10 leafs in the back as suggested and the ZJ springs in front? Any suggestion or tips on replacing the bushings? Best shocks to use for the buck?

I also think I need to go through electrical connestors and clean them along with grounds, can anyone point out where some hiddens are? (Ie.. like ground strap on back of motor underneath not easily seen, stuff like that)

Seems like a lot but the thing runs like a bear, 4wd works great and it shifts smooth and very little rust. (and it was cheap!)

Anyways thanks for any advice
Mike
dlocke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds a lot like the 88 XJ Laredo I bought a month ago. My biggest issue is rust (I live in New England), but my XK also leaks oil in a major way. You may want to check the oil filter adapter, as the O-rings wear out. I have oil coming from the adapter as well as the valve cover. So far on mine I have gutted the interior and pulled the rear bumper. I have some welding to do (small holes in floorboard, new rockers from JC Whitney, etc.). You might want to pull the rear seat (easy) and lower trim and pull the carpet up some and look for nasty surprises. I am going to herculine the floor in mine. The carpet was wet and nasty. Luckily, my electrical stuff seems to be working OK. As for your radiator, I know the rad in mine was replaced last year. The contained cooloing systems seem to go south after 150-200,000 miles.
DJL
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: oil leaks Reply with quote

Alot of these older beasts have issues with crankcase ventilation which makes oil leak out of the valve cover in a big way. You can tell by pulling the PCV valve while running, if you hear alot of pressure coming out when you first pull it then there's an issue somewhere. It could be just the PCV valve but there is also some kind of solenoid attached to the metal PCV line that controls where the ventilation goes. They get gummed up or petrified and stop working so you get added pressure inside the cover. My 88 got so bad it leaked out the distributer seal too before I figured it out. Good luck, XJ's are fun and pretty easy to work on.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
jppilot61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 1992 Cherokee Laredo which seems to be exibiting the infamous leak from "Oil Filter Adapter" O Rings that I am reading about.

I just ordered replacement O rings from www.rockauto.com for $0.74 each (Takes 3 if I read a previous post correctly?)

Can anyone perhaps provide some details about the process to change them out?

Perhaps a Tech Write-Up if someone has done this/witnessed this recently?

If not I will try to BLUNDER my way through it in near future! Then I will be the one to do a Writeup (after my busted knuckles heal up!)

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
dlocke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about the oil adapter gaskets myself. I ordered some various underhood stuff online, including a gasket for the adapter. I got one large o-ring for 88 cents. Still, I hear people mentioning 3, count em, 3 O-rings.
The good news is that the big one is probably imposible to match up in a hardware store, but the smaller ones (assuming they are smaller) can probably be found there.
DJL
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep Dealership numbers :

p/n 33002970 ORing .7 $3.25
p/n 33002971 ORing 1. $2.70

p/n 4720363 (The 3 piece kit, large oring is right but other 2 in the kit are not!!!!)

I "THINK" these also apply to your year but I can not swear to it!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Oil filter adapter Reply with quote

Depending on the year it may take 3 o rings.
1) remove the oil filter
2) remove the 16mm bolt that holds the adapter on
3) remove the orings from the mounting bolt
( Caution watch the sizes for the o ring bolt as they are different)
4) remove the o ring from the block
5) to remount the o ring on the block use weatherstrip adhesive
Gorilla snot yellow or black
RTV does not work on rubber
6) use RTV around the housing surface to help seal the adapter.
7)Remount in reverse process
Cool check for leaks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: